2,300 Ghost Workers Removed From Payroll, N200m Saved – Abia Govt

 

The Abia State Government says it has saved over N200 million on the monthly wage bill, following an ongoing verification of civil servants and other public workers that eliminated over 2,300 ghost workers from the state’s payroll.

According to a Monday statement by Kazie Uko, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Alex Otti, the state Accountant General, Njum Onyemenam, revealed that the saving was made using a unified payment system.

She confirmed that workers had received the payment of April salaries as well as June pensions to retirees.

See the full statement below:

PRESS RELEASE

ABIA IDENTIFIES 2,300 GHOST NAMES ON PAYROLL, SAVES OVER N200 MILLION MONTHLY

The Abia State Government says it has saved over N200 million on monthly wage bill following ongoing verification of civil servants and other public workers in the state.

State Accountant General, Deaconess Njum Onyemenam, said the huge savings was made using a unified payment system.

Onyemenam, who spoke Monday after a meeting with the state Governor, Dr. Alex Otti, OFR, said the verification exercise was still ongoing and that the government hopes to make more savings.

“So far, we have been able to save N220 million from the ongoing verification of workers in the state, local governments and pensioners.

“Not less than 2,300 ghost names have been weeded out of the payrolls, using the unified payment system and we hope to still identify more as we continue with the exercise,” the Accountant General said.

She confirmed that following Governor Otti’s directive, government had last week paid the arrears of April salaries, left behind by the immediate past administration and also June pensions to retirees.

Also, local government staff, who had been skipped when the June salaries were paid, due to their failure to submit their verified payment schedule, will receive their salaries this week, Onyemenam said.

KAZIE UKO
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor
Abia State
July 17, 2023

  • Related Posts

    ICPC confirms arrest of El-Rufai over ongoing investigation

      The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has confirmed that former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, is currently in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.…

    DSS takes el-Rufai into custody from EFCC — Report

      Operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have taken Nasir el-Rufai into custody after the former governor of Kaduna spent two nights with the the Economic and Financial…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    8 Nigerian soldiers killed in terrorists’ raid – Report

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 1 views
    8 Nigerian soldiers killed in terrorists’ raid – Report

    ICPC confirms arrest of El-Rufai over ongoing investigation

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 2 views
    ICPC confirms arrest of El-Rufai over ongoing investigation

    FACT-CHECK: Video of Adamu Garba removing APC flag from office as sign to leave party, from 2022

    • By admin
    • February 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    FACT-CHECK: Video of Adamu Garba removing APC flag from office as sign to leave party, from 2022

    DSS takes el-Rufai into custody from EFCC — Report

    • By admin
    • February 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    DSS takes el-Rufai into custody from EFCC — Report

    Owo Church Attack: DSS Witness Narrates How Forensic Analysis Implicated Suspected Attackers

    • By admin
    • February 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Owo Church Attack: DSS Witness Narrates How Forensic Analysis Implicated Suspected Attackers

    ‘I went for engineering job’ — Nigerian captured in Ukraine war

    • By admin
    • February 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    ‘I went for engineering job’ — Nigerian captured in Ukraine war