Over 500 Killed In Southern Lebanon

A Lebanese security source said an Israeli strike hit Hezbollah’s south Beirut stronghold Tuesday, with the Israeli army also saying it had carried out a strike, a day after hitting the same area.

“An Israeli strike targeted two floors in a residential building in the Ghobeiri area,” the security source said, requesting anonymity as he was not authorised to discuss sensitive matters.

The Israeli military said it had struck the Lebanese capital but did not immediately give further details.

“The IDF (military) conducted a targeted strike in Beirut. Details to follow,” it said.

So far, at least 558 people, including 50 children and 94 women have been killed in Southern Lebanon, according to Lebanon’s health ministry. At least four healthcare workers were killed and 16 paramedics injured, the World Health Organization said.

An AFP photographer at the site of the strike said the strike had destroyed two floors of a building located in a densely-packed residential area, also damaging nearby cars.

On Monday, Israel said it had launched a “targeted strike” on Beirut.

Hezbollah said Ali Karake, its third-in-command, was alive and had moved to safety after a source close to the group told AFP the strike had targeted him.

Hezbollah and its arch-foe Israel have been exchanging near-daily cross-border fire since the Gaza war erupted last October.

But on Monday, Israel launched devastating strikes across Lebanon’s south and east, killing more than 550 people according to the Lebanese health ministry — the deadliest single-day toll since Hezbollah and Israel went to war in 2006.

The attacks came after coordinated communications devices explosions that killed 39 people and wounded thousands on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.

Those were followed by a deadly strike on Friday on south Beirut, with leading Hezbollah commander Ibrahim Aqil among the dead.

AFP

  • Related Posts

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

      Drone strikes by the Malian army on Sunday killed at least 10 civilians as they prepared to celebrate a traditional mass wedding, security and local sources told AFP. The…

    Police extradite romance scam suspect to US over $1.5m fraud

      The Nigeria Police Force has extradited an alleged online romance scam suspect, Samuel Ugberease, also known as “Putsammy”, “Putput”, and “Sammy”, to the United States to face charges of…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 10 views
    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda