DSS gives Sowore one week to retract ‘false, malicious’ post against Tinubu

 

The Department of State Services (DSS) has asked Omoyele Sowore, activist and publisher of Sahara Reporters, to retract his “false and malicious” social media post against President Bola Tinubu.

The agency had earlier written to X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, demanding the urgent deactivation of Sowore’s verified account.

In a letter dated September 7, signed by Uwem Davies on behalf of Adeola Ajayi, the director-general of the DSS, the secret police asked Sowore to retract his post on X and tender a public apology within one week.

The agency accused Sowore of referring to Tinubu as a “criminal” in a post he made on August 26, 2025, while mocking the president’s comments in Brazil on corruption.

Advertisement
According to the DSS, the post was “repugnant, derogatory and capable of inciting public disturbance”.

The service ordered Sowore to retract the statement with the same prominence on X, publish apologies in at least two national newspapers and two television stations, and submit a formal representation to its headquarters in Abuja or via email.

The DSS said the remarks were not only “false and malicious” but could incite “public disturbance, disunity and even insurrection”.

“These statements are, to say the least, capable of causing insurrection, as they are odious, repugnant, derogatory and uncomplimentary towards a person occupying the highest office of this country,” the agency’s letter reads.

It added that persons seeking to play critical roles in Nigeria’s democracy must exercise restraint and responsibility in both speech and action.

“Persons of your status who are campaigning to lead this country must exercise restraint and responsibility in their speech,” the service said.

The DSS further noted that it has a constitutional mandate to ensure Nigerians are not misled by “false propaganda”, adding that it would “explore all lawful means” to counter misinformation capable of undermining national unity.

Advertisement
The letter was also copied to the United States embassy in Abuja.

In his response on X, Sowore rejected the DSS directive.

“Even if you @OfficialDSSNG give me till the end of Tinubu’s tenure in 2027, I will NOT withdraw my statement (for I believe his tenure shall not go beyond on or before 2027),” Sowore wrote.

Sowore, a former presidential candidate under the African Action Congress (AAC), has been a consistent critic of successive Nigerian governments.

Related Posts

Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

  A Catholic priest, Rev. Fr. Valentine Chimaobi Nwajiagu, was allegedly attacked on Sunday by a member of the Knights of St. John International, Sir Iyke Nwatakwocha, at St. Anthony…

Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

  The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 19-year-old woman, Khadija Ibrahim, for allegedly stealing a newborn baby in Zuru Local Government Area of the state and presenting the…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 4 views
Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 7 views
Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 7 views
Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

  • By admin
  • August 16, 2026
  • 8 views
INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll