Mourners killed at a burial ceremony in Anambra – Police

 

The Anambra State Police Command has confirmed that four persons were killed while about 15 others sustained injuries when gunmen attacked a burial ceremony in Ogidi community, Idemili North Local Government Area of the state.

A trending video on social media captured some of the injured victims receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital.

It was gathered that the gunmen stormed Ezi Village, Ogidi, on Thursday evening and opened fire on unsuspecting mourners, turning the solemn event into a bloodbath.

Anambra State Police Spokesperson, Tochukwu Ikenga, disclosed that preliminary investigations revealed that the incident was linked to a clash between rival cult groups. He added that detectives had been deployed to identify and arrest the perpetrators.

Ikenga also appealed to members of the public to assist the police with credible information on the identity of the gunmen.

Ikenga said: “Following a distress call in the late hours of September 11, 2025, that armed men suspected to be cultists invaded a burial ceremony at Ezi Village, Ogidi, Idemili North LGA and opened fire on the attendees, resulting in the death of four persons while fifteen others sustained serious injuries. Police Operatives from Ogidi Division, led by the Divisional Police Officer, swiftly mobilised to the scene, restored normalcy, and immediately evacuated the victims to hospitals for medical attention.

“In the course of the operation, 16 (sixteen) expended cartridges were recovered as exhibits. The Command has since launched a discreet investigation to identify, trace, and arrest the perpetrators, as preliminary findings suggest that the incident is connected to a clash between rival cult groups.”

He added that the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, strongly condemned the attack, describing it as “senseless and unacceptable”.

He assured residents that the command remained resolute in its commitment to rid the state of cult-related violence and other criminal activities.

“The command urges members of the public to remain calm, security-conscious, and to continue to provide useful information by reporting suspicious movements or persons to the nearest police formation”, he added.

Related Posts

Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

  Over twenty people, including women and children, are feared killed, with others still missing, in an attack on Amper, in the BWI district of the Mangu Local Government Area…

Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

  Gunmen invaded communities in Ukum LGA of Benue early Sunday morning, killing several residents and injuring others. The attack was said to have happened in Mbaterem, Ayaba, Ikpur, Yina,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 3 views
Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 2 views
Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 6 views
Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

Police kill two suspected kidnappers, recover arms in Anambra

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 6 views
Police kill two suspected kidnappers, recover arms in Anambra

Many tourists feared dead as helicopter crashes in Kenya

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 5 views
Many tourists feared dead as helicopter crashes in Kenya

Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 11 views
Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military