FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

 

The Federal Government has filed charges against the former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

The charges, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, were filed before the Federal High Court, Abuja Judicial Division, by the Federal Republic of Nigeria as complainant and El-Rufai as defendant.

According to court documents seen by PUNCH Online, the prosecution claimed that on February 13, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme in Abuja, El-Rufai admitted that he and others unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

In count one, the Federal Government alleges that the admission amounts to an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count two alleges that El-Rufai stated during the same interview that he knew and related with individuals who unlawfully intercepted Ribadu’s phone communications but failed to report them to relevant security agencies, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.

The third count also claimed that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026 in Abuja, used technical equipment or systems to unlawfully intercept the National Security Adviser’s phone communications, an act said to have compromised public safety and national security, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

The offence in count three was said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

As of the time of filing this report, no date had been fixed for El-Rufai’s arraignment.

Details later…

Related Posts

SERAP sues INEC over ‘failure to account for missing N55.9bn election funds’

  Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) “over the failure to account for the missing or diverted N55.9 billion…

Four killed, 10 injured in shooting at child’s birthday party in US

  Four people have been killed in a shooting during a child’s birthday party in California, US. The shooting occurred around 6pm on Saturday inside a banquet hall in Stockton,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 1 views
Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 2 views
FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 2 views
Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 3 views
US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 3 views
Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 4 views
I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters