WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

 

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern.

In a statement issued on Saturday, the WHO said the outbreak does not yet meet the threshold for a pandemic emergency under the International Health Regulations.

The agency said the declaration followed consultations with authorities in DR Congo and Uganda over the escalating spread of the virus and the risk of cross-border transmission.

According to the WHO, as of Saturday, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases, and 80 suspected deaths had been recorded in the Ituri province of DRC.

The organisation added that two confirmed cases, including one death, were reported in Kampala between May 15 and 16 among travellers arriving from DRC.

WHO also confirmed another case in Kinshasa involving a person returning from Ituri province.

The agency said unusual clusters of community deaths with symptoms consistent with Bundibugyo virus disease had been reported across several health zones in Ituri, while suspected infections had spread into North Kivu.

It added that at least four healthcare workers had died in circumstances suggestive of viral haemorrhagic fever, raising concerns over hospital-based transmission and weak infection prevention measures.

WHO said there were still uncertainties about the true number of infections and the geographical spread of the outbreak.

However, it noted that the high positivity rate among initial samples, increasing reports of suspected cases and deaths, and confirmed infections in Kampala and Kinshasa suggested the outbreak could be “much larger” than currently detected.

The organisation warned that insecurity, humanitarian challenges, population movement, urban transmission risks, and informal healthcare networks could worsen the spread of the disease.

WHO also noted that, unlike the Ebola Zaire strain, there are currently no approved vaccines or therapeutics specifically targeting the Bundibugyo virus.

The agency said the outbreak had already crossed borders, with confirmed international transmission into Uganda, adding that neighbouring countries sharing borders with DR Congo face heightened risks because of trade, travel, and population movement.

Tedros Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, is expected to convene an emergency committee to advise on temporary recommendations and response measures aimed at containing the outbreak.

The public health emergency of international concern designation is the highest alert level under WHO regulations and is used for extraordinary events that pose public health risks across borders and require coordinated international action.

Related Posts

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  No fewer than five persons have been confirmed dead after a three-storey building under construction collapsed in the Durumi 3 area near Gudu Market in the Abuja Municipal Area…

DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

  Defence Headquarters on Saturday confirmed the killing of an ISIS top leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki, as well as detailing him as a “global terrorist”. The development followed an announcement by…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 13 views
DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 11 views
Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

Nigerians among West Africans to be deported from US to Sierra Leone

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 20 views
Nigerians among West Africans to be deported from US to Sierra Leone