Ghana defers Ramaphosa’s visit over anti-migrant attacks in South Africa

 

 

Ghana has postponed a visit by Cyril Ramaphosa, president of South Africa, following the recent anti-migrant tensions in the former apartheid country.

Some Ghanaians were among Africans who had been assaulted by a group of South Africans targeting undocumented migrants.

Samuel Ablakwa, Ghana’s foreign affairs minister, summoned Thando Dalamba, South African acting high commissioner in the country, to express Ghana’s “strong concern” over the reported intimidation and harassment of foreign nationals.

Weeks later, the Ghanaian government began repatriating its citizens from the country.

On Tuesday, there were reports that Ghana rejected a planned state visit from Ramaphosa. The reports alleged that the measure was taken as a diplomatic freeze in bilateral relations between both countries to stress Ghana’s displeasure over the attack on its citizens in South Africa.

However, Felix Ofosu, minister for government communications, said the visit was not a rejection of South Africa’s diplomatic overtures but a mutual recognition that the current tensions could overshadow the important issues both countries intended to discuss.

“Let me indicate that this is a visit that had been planned well in advance of the outbreak of the recent xenophobic attacks. Indeed, it was slated to take place in early August 2026, but given the outbreak of these attacks and all the issues that have arisen therefrom, we sent a diplomatic communication to the South African government that we believe it is best to defer the visit until such a time when these matters have been resolved, and there is relative calm,” he said in an interview with Joy FM, Ghanaian broadcaster.

“Given the nature of the recent attacks, there is a likelihood that they will overshadow the very important issues that would have to be discussed during such a visit. So we believe that when matters settle, and the issue of xenophobic attacks no longer hangs over such discussions, it will then be appropriate to have the visit.”

Vincent Magwenya, South African presidential spokesperson, dismissed claims that Ramaphosa had requested a state visit.

Magwenya said South Africa had instead sought confirmation from Ghana regarding arrangements for the third session of the Bi-National Commission, which was to be co-chaired by both presidents.

Ghana has said it continues to maintain cordial relations with South Africa.

Related Posts

ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

  President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of a fake government agency within the premises of the office of the secretary…

FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

  The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has filed a motion seeking to submit ex parte in camera declarations on why it withheld information about its investigative records relating to…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 3 views
ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

FACT-CHECK: Video of Lagos residents scooping diesel in October 2023, trends again

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 11 views
FACT-CHECK: Video of Lagos residents scooping diesel in October 2023, trends again

Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 4 views
Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 8 views
FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 12 views
RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto