How Nigerian scammed 70 American businesses of $6m

 

A40-year-old Nigerian, Alex Ogunshakin, is now awaiting trial in the United States for allegedly swindling 70 American businesses to the tune of $6 million.

Ogunshakin was recently arrested in Nigeria and extradited to the US for trial.

He had been at the top of the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Cyber’s Most Wanted List since 2019.

The accused, according to the charges against him, defrauded more than 70 businesses in Nebraska and across the U.S. of over $6 million.

His mode of operation was a business email compromise (BEC) scheme.

He and his co-conspirators were said to have, between 2016 and 2017, posed as the chief executive officer, president, owner, or other executives of the targeted companies.

He and his co-conspirators were said to have, between 2016 and 2017, posed as the chief executive officer, president, owner, or other executives of the targeted companies.

Using spoofed email accounts, they directed business employees to complete wire transfers.

Two unnamed companies in Nebraska lost more than $530,000 in the scam, The London Mail reports.

Ogunshakin provided his co-conspirators, including Richard Uzuh, who led the BEC scheme, with bank accounts that were used to receive fraudulent wire transfers.

He also assisted in sending spoofed emails to businesses used to solicit fraudulent wire transfers, according to the indictment.

Some of Ogunshakin’s co-conspirators have also been arrested.

One of them is Adewale Aniyeloye, who sent the spoofed e-mails to the target business.

He was sentenced in 2019 to 96 months’ imprisonment and ordered to pay $1,570,938.05 in restitution.

Another is Pelumi Fawehinimi, a bank account facilitator, who was also jailed in 2019 for 72 months and ordered to pay $1,014,159.60 in restitution.

There is also Onome Ijomone, a romance scammer, sentenced in January 2020 to 60 months’ imprisonment and ordered to pay $508,934.40 in restitution after his successful extradition from Poland

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    Five die in Abuja building collapse

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 11 views
    Five die in Abuja building collapse

    17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 14 views
    17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe