Israel, Hamas seek new deal to extend Gaza ceasefire

 

Israel and Hamas were negotiating through mediators on Wednesday over another potential extension of the Gaza truce.

The negotiation came with hours left to reach a deal before fighting was due to restart after a six-day pause.

So far, Gaza militants have freed 60 Israeli women and children from among the 240 hostages they seized in a deadly rampage on October 7 under the deal that secured the war’s first truce.

No fewer than 21 foreigners, mainly Thai farmworkers, were also freed under separate parallel deals.

In return, Israel has released 180 Palestinian security detainees, all women and teenagers.

Families of Israeli hostages were informed on Wednesday of the names of those due to be released later in the day, Israel’s public broadcaster Kan reported the final group to be freed under the truce unless negotiators succeed in extending it.

Gaza’s Hamas rulers published a list of 15 women and 15 teenagers to be released from Israeli jails in return.

For the first time since the truce began, it included Palestinian citizens of Israel as well as residents of occupied territory.

A Palestinian official told Reuters that, despite a willingness on both sides to prolong the truce, no agreement had yet been reached.

Discussions were still underway with mediators in Egypt and Qatar, the official said.

Israeli government spokesperson Eylon Levy said Israel would consider any serious proposal, though he declined to provide further details.

“We are doing everything we can in order to get those hostages out. Nothing is confirmed until it is confirmed,” Levy told reporters in Tel Aviv.

“We’re talking about very sensitive negotiations in which human lives hang in the balance,” he added.

Once the release of hostages ends, the fighting will resume. He said, “This war will end with the end of Hamas.”

  • Related Posts

    US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries

      A United States District Court in Manhattan has nullified the Donald Trump administration’s policy suspending the processing and issuance of immigrant visas to applicants from 75 countries, including Nigeria.…

    ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

      President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of a fake government agency within the premises of the office of the secretary…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries

    • By admin
    • August 22, 2026
    • 3 views
    US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries

    Gunmen attack Niger mosque, abduct worshippers

    • By admin
    • August 22, 2026
    • 6 views
    Gunmen attack Niger mosque, abduct worshippers

    Tinubu constitutes APC 2027 presidential campaign council, names Yari DG

    • By admin
    • August 22, 2026
    • 8 views
    Tinubu constitutes APC 2027 presidential campaign council, names Yari DG

    ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 3 views
    ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

    FACT-CHECK: Video of Lagos residents scooping diesel in October 2023, trends again

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 12 views
    FACT-CHECK: Video of Lagos residents scooping diesel in October 2023, trends again

    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 5 views
    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations