Coronavirus: 10 Chinese cities on lockdown; 830 cases confirmed

The Chinese National Health Commission said Friday that there are 830 confirmed cases of the new Coronavirus countrywide, while at least 25 people have died.

At least 10 cities, and at least 33 million people, have been put on lockdown. Airports around the world have begun screening travelers for the Coronavirus.

The Chinese National Health Commission said Friday that there are 830 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus countrywide, while at least 25 people have died.

The Chinese government isolated more cities Friday, an unprecedented move to contain the coronavirus, which has spread to several other countries.

In China, at least 10 cities, and at least 33 million people, have been put on lockdown — Wuhan, Huanggang, Ezhou, Chibi, Qianjiang, Zhijiang; Jingmen, Xiantao, Xiaogan and Huangshi — all in central China’s Hubei province, on the eve of the Lunar New Year, when millions of Chinese traditionally travel.

Shanghai Disney Resort announced on its website that it is temporarily closing Shanghai Disneyland, a major tourist attraction during Lunar New Year, “in response to the prevention and control of the disease outbreak and in order to ensure the health and safety” of guests and cast.

The municipality authorities of Wuhan, where the coronavirus is believed to have originated, said Friday that the city is building a new 1,000-bed hospital, expected to be completed by Feb. 3.

On Thursday authorities first banned planes and trains from leaving the city of Wuhan, where the coronavirus is believed to have originated. Toll roads were closed, and ferry, subway and bus services were suspended.

Wuhan authorities have demanded that all residents wear masks in public and urged government and private sector employees to wear them in the workplace, according to the Xinhua news agency, which cited a government official.

Similar measures were taken hours later in the nearby cities of Huanggang and Ezhou.

The government also canceled holiday events in Beijing that usually attract large crowds.

Fifteen medical workers are among those who have been infected by the virus, which has spread from Wuhan to Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong province, as well as Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan and the United States.

The World Health Organization said Thursday the deadly virus has not yet developed into a worldwide health emergency.

“This is an emergency in China, but it has not yet become a global health emergency,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said after a two-day emergency meeting in Geneva.

The U.N. health agency’s decision came after it received information from independent experts who spent two days assessing information about the spread of the new coronavirus.

WHO considers an international emergency an “extraordinary event” that puts other countries at risk and one that requires a coordinated global response.

The U.S. announced its first case Tuesday in the northwestern state of Washington. Health officials there said a man who returned to Seattle from Wuhan last week is hospitalized in good condition with pneumonia.

U.S. President Donald Trump assured reporters during a press conference in Davos, Switzerland, Wednesday that U.S. officials “have a plan” to deal with the new outbreak, praising experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as “terrific, very great professionals, and we’re in great shape.”

Airports around the world have begun screening travelers from Wuhan for any signs of the virus.

A coronavirus is one of a large family of viruses that can cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to the deadly SARS.

Courtesy: Voice Of America (VOA)

  • Related Posts

    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

      The Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) has disclosed that over 50,000 Nigerian-trained doctors are currently practising outside the country, attributing the development to aggressive foreign recruitment and better welfare packages.…

    Court Bars Resident Doctors From Embarking On Planned Strike

      Justice Emmanuel Subilim of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, Abuja, has issued an order restraining the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) and its members from embarking on…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    US supreme court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 6 views
    US supreme court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

    Police arrest ex-presidential aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 5 views
    Police arrest ex-presidential aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery

    El-Rufai’s lawyer protests home raid amid ICPC detention

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 4 views
    El-Rufai’s lawyer protests home raid amid ICPC detention

    Bandits kill 33 in Kebbi LG deadly attack

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 3 views
    Bandits kill 33 in Kebbi LG deadly attack

    Rivers assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 4 views
    Rivers assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    US court jails Nigerian 8 years over $1.3m cyber fraud

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 5 views
    US court jails Nigerian 8 years over $1.3m cyber fraud