Ex-Sierra Leone president under house arrest amid coup investigation

 

Former Sierra Leone president Ernest Bai Koroma has been confined to his home, the government said Saturday, after he was questioned over what it calls an attempted coup at the end of November.

The office of the former president, who led the West African nation from 2007 to 2018, has said he was not placed under house arrest.

Information Minister Chernor Bah said Koroma, who was first brought in for questioning by police Friday, was questioned again on Saturday before being released “with the condition that he stays in the confines of his property”.

 

“He can’t step out of the house without the expressed permission of the inspector general of police,” Bah said on X, formerly Twitter.

Koroma has been allowed visits by just three family members and three party members, Bah added — terms which will be in place until he meets with the police inspector again Monday.

In a statement by Koroma’s office, one of his lawyers denied that he was under house arrest but said the “security beef up around his residence and the extra caution on traffic into his home are state security determination”.

Koroma had on Thursday been summoned to appear before police in the capital Freetown within 24 hours, as part of an ongoing investigation into clashes that took place at the end of last month.

Armed attackers stormed a military armoury, two barracks, two prisons and two police stations, clashing with security forces during the early hours of November 26.

The fighting left 21 people dead, according to Bah. Since then, 71 people have been arrested.

West Africa has been hit by a series of coups since 2020 with the military taking power in Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger and Guinea.

  • Related Posts

    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

      Suspected bandits have attacked Kakafu community, a remote settlement in the Patigi Local Government Area of Kwara State, kidnapping four persons. The attackers kidnapped four residents, including one man,…

    Sowore: I was arrested, detained five times in 2025, yet I’m not broken

      Omoyele Sowore, a human rights activist and former presidential candidate, says he was detained five times in 2025, but he did not allow the experience to discourage him. He…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 2 views
    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

    US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 3 views
    US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 3 views
    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

    I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 4 views
    I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

    Sowore: I was arrested, detained five times in 2025, yet I’m not broken

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 4 views
    Sowore: I was arrested, detained five times in 2025, yet I’m not broken

    Miyetti Allah denies criminal links, seeks US bill review

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 4 views
    Miyetti Allah denies criminal links, seeks US bill review