FCCPC asks MultiChoice to suspend price hike pending investigation

 

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has directed MultiChoice Nigeria, the operator of DStv and GOtv, to maintain its current subscription prices pending the conclusion of an ongoing investigation into the company’s proposed tariff adjustment.

The consumer watchdog disclosed this in a statement signed by its Director of Corporate Affairs, Ondaje Ijagwu, on Thursday.

The directive follows MultiChoice’s request for an extension regarding its scheduled appearance before the commission over concerns surrounding its recurring price increases.

The regulator had earlier summoned MultiChoice’s Chief Executive Officer to appear before it on February 27 for an investigative hearing.

While the FCCPC granted the company’s request to postpone the session, it has now rescheduled the hearing for March 6, 2025, mandating the company’s CEO, relevant officers, and a comprehensive response to the inquiry.

“As part of this directive, MultiChoice is expressly instructed to maintain the existing price structure as of February 27, 2025, pending the commission’s review and final determination on the matter,” the statement read.

The FCCPC emphasised that the decision to freeze prices is aimed at preventing potential consumer exploitation during the investigation period.

MultiChoice had notified its customers on Monday of the impending price adjustment, citing a review of its pricing structure.

While the company stated that the changes were necessary to continue delivering world-class content, the development sparked concerns from subscribers.

Under the proposed adjustment, the DStv Compact package would be increased, while the Compact Plus and Premium bouquets would remain at N30,000 and N44,500, respectively.

In its notice titled “Price Adjustments for DStv and GOtv Packages,” the company said, “Dear Customer, please note that effective March 1, 2025, there will be a price adjustment on all DStv packages.

This is to enable us to continue offering our customers world-class homegrown and international content, delivered through the best technology.”

The FCCPC said it would provide further updates as the investigation progresses.

Related Posts

Dangote Refinery slashes petrol price to N774 per litre

  Dangote Petroleum Refinery has reduced its Premium Motor Spirit gantry price by N25 per litre, lowering its ex-depot rate from N799 to N774 per litre in what industry analysts…

CAC delisted over 400,000 inactive companies in 2025, says registrar-general

  The Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) says it delisted over 400,000 inactive and non-compliant companies from its official register in 2025. According to NAN, Hussaini Magaji, registrar-general of the CAC,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 2 views
Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 2 views
FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 3 views
Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 5 views
US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 4 views
Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 5 views
I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters