FCCPC files charges against MultiChoice over price hike

 

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has filed charges against MultiChoice Nigeria Limited and its Chief Executive Officer, John Ugbe, for defying regulatory directives to suspend a subscription price hike.

FCCPC’s Director of Corporate Affairs, Ondaje Ijagwu, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.

On February 27, the FCCPC directed MultiChoice to suspend its planned price increase for DStv and GOtv services pending the conclusion of an investigation into the hike. However, the company went ahead with the price adjustments on March 1, disregarding the directive.

The regulator said the charges, filed at the Federal High Court in Lagos, were based on three counts: obstructing the Commission’s inquiry, failing to comply with directives, and attempting to mislead the regulatory body.

Part of the statement reads, “Following the blatant disregard for regulatory oversight, the FCCPC has filed charges against MultiChoice Nigeria and John Ugbe at the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, on three counts of offences under the FCCPA 2018.

“Specifically for willfully obstructing the Commission’s inquiry by implementing a price hike contrary to directives (Section 33(4)), impeding the ongoing investigation by ignoring instructions to suspend the hike (Section 110), and attempting to mislead the Commission by proceeding with the increase without objection (Section 159(2), punishable under Section 159(4)(a) and (b)).”

The Commission described MultiChoice’s actions as a deliberate attempt to undermine regulatory authority, disrupt market fairness, and deny Nigerian consumers the protection guaranteed under the law.

“By disregarding the FCCPC’s directive and implementing the price hike before appearing before the Commission’s investigative hearing on March 6, 2025, MultiChoice has not only flouted regulatory processes but also demonstrated a pattern of conduct that undermines consumer rights and fair competition,” the statement added.

In addition to the legal action, the FCCPC said it is considering further enforcement measures, including sanctions and regulatory interventions, to ensure compliance and accountability.

MultiChoice had earlier informed customers of the impending price review, set to take effect on March 1, 2025, attributing the adjustment to rising costs of delivering premium content.

According to the notice titled “Price Adjustments for DStv and GOtv Packages,” the company said, “Dear Customer, please note that effective March 1, 2025, there will be a price adjustment on all DStv packages. This is to enable us to continue offering our customers world-class homegrown and international content, delivered through the best technology.”

While the Compact Plus and Premium bouquets will remain at N30,000 and N44,500, respectively, the DStv Compact package is among the subscriptions expected to be affected by the price increase.

Related Posts

Dangote Refinery slashes petrol price to N774 per litre

  Dangote Petroleum Refinery has reduced its Premium Motor Spirit gantry price by N25 per litre, lowering its ex-depot rate from N799 to N774 per litre in what industry analysts…

CAC delisted over 400,000 inactive companies in 2025, says registrar-general

  The Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) says it delisted over 400,000 inactive and non-compliant companies from its official register in 2025. According to NAN, Hussaini Magaji, registrar-general of the CAC,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 2 views
Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 2 views
FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 3 views
Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 5 views
US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 4 views
Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

  • By admin
  • February 16, 2026
  • 5 views
I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters