Israel sends rescue planes after football fans attacked in Amsterdam

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sent two rescue planes to the Netherlands on Friday after Israel football fans were reportedly injured in violence in Amsterdam.

“Prime Minister Netanyahu views the horrifying incident with utmost gravity and demands that the Dutch government and security forces take vigorous and swift action against the rioters, and ensure the safety of our citizens,” his office said in a statement.

The prime minister’s office did not say what led to the “very violent incident against Israeli citizens”, but Dutch media AT5 reported that fights broke out Thursday night between fans at a Europa League match involving Maccabi Tel-Aviv and Ajax.

The report said numerous fights, as well as acts of vandalism, had occurred in the city centre.

“A large number of mobile unit vehicles are present and reinforcements have also been called in,” it said.

The Israeli embassy in the United States said “hundreds” of Maccabi fans were “ambushed and attacked in Amsterdam tonight as they left the stadium following a game”.

In its post on social media platform X, the embassy blamed the incident on a “mob who targeted innocent Israelis”.

A Dutch police spokesperson told ANP news agency that 57 people had been arrested.

Israel’s new foreign minister Gideon Saar said in a statement that he had requested the Dutch government’s assistance in ensuring Israeli citizens’ safe exit from their hotels to the airport.

Images on AT5 showed Dutch police escorting fans back to their hotels.

On Thursday, Amsterdam police said on social media that they were being particularly vigilant in the wake of several incidents, including the tearing down of a Palestinian flag from a building.

A pro-Palestinian rally demonstrating against the Israeli football club’s visit was initially scheduled to take place near the stadium but was relocated by the Amsterdam city council for security reasons.

  • Related Posts

    Bandits Kill 30, Abduct Several In Zamfara Community

      Thirty people have been killed and several others abducted following a bandit attack on Dutsin Dan Ajiya village in Anka Local Government Area of Zamfara State. The attack occurred…

    Five Fulani youths killed in suspected militia attack in Plateau

      At least five Fulani youths were reportedly killed by suspected Berom militias while returning from Dorowan Babuje in Barkin Ladi LGA of Plateau state. According to Zagazola Makama, a…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Bandits Kill 30, Abduct Several In Zamfara Community

    • By admin
    • February 21, 2026
    • 2 views
    Bandits Kill 30, Abduct Several In Zamfara Community

    Five Fulani youths killed in suspected militia attack in Plateau

    • By admin
    • February 21, 2026
    • 4 views
    Five Fulani youths killed in suspected militia attack in Plateau

    Police apprehend officers for allegedly shooting, killing two passersby

    • By admin
    • February 21, 2026
    • 4 views
    Police apprehend officers for allegedly shooting, killing two passersby

    Police arrest man for slitting wife’s throat after minor quarrel

    • By admin
    • February 21, 2026
    • 4 views
    Police arrest man for slitting wife’s throat after minor quarrel

    Court Awards ₦30m Against Police For Declaring Sowore Wanted

    • By admin
    • February 21, 2026
    • 6 views
    Court Awards ₦30m Against Police For Declaring Sowore Wanted

    Teen who fled to Nigeria after London stabbing gets life jail

    • By admin
    • February 21, 2026
    • 5 views
    Teen who fled to Nigeria after London stabbing gets life jail