Sokoto residents dismiss Niger leader’s claims of French military presence

Residents of border communities in Sokoto have dismissed allegations of the presence of the French Army in the area.

Recall that the Head of the Military Junta in the Niger Republic, in a recently circulated video, accused President Bola Tinubu and some members of his administration of colluding with the French Army to attack Niger.

Our correspondent, who visited the border communities of Tangaza and Gudu Local Government areas in Sokoto State on a fact-finding mission, confirmed that the allegations were baseless.

Speaking to newsmen at his palace, Alhaji Aminu Aliyu, the traditional ruler of Balle in Gudu Local Government Area of Sokoto State, denied the existence of any foreign military camp in his territory.

Aliyu said in an interview on Friday in Balle, a Nigerian border community with the Niger Republic, that the claims by the Nigerien junta leader were baseless. He stressed that his subjects had at no time reported the existence of a foreign military camp in the area.

According to him, his people were engaged in various agricultural and business activities, and if such a camp existed, his men would have informed him.

Another community leader, Malam Abdurahman Shehu, stated that communities such as Marake, Kudula, and Bikini, located 3 to 35 kilometres from the Niger Republic border, had not sighted any military camps.

Shehu noted that Balle and other communities maintained cordial relationships with Nigerien communities, and no reports of foreign military camps had been received from the residents.

Malam Kabiru Muhammad, a resident of Ruwa-Wuri in Tangaza Local Government Area, acknowledged the sporadic presence of Lakurawa bandits but denied the existence of any foreign military camp in the region.

“We noticed the presence of Lakurawa bandits at times, trespassing on our farms with guns. They were always chased away by the Nigerian Army stationed in the area, but there is no foreign military camp terrorising our people,” Muhammad said.

A commercial motorcyclist in Ruwa-Wuri, identified simply as Ibrahim, said he had been operating in the town for over five years and had never seen any French Army in the area.

“I have been here for a long time and frequently carry passengers to and from Niger Republic daily. I have never seen any army apart from those of this country and Niger Republic,” he said.

Ibrahim Mutolib, chairman of the Ruwa-Wuri cattle market, also dismissed the claims, stating that the community had maintained good relations with their Nigerien counterparts, especially within the market, where both sides traded peacefully.

  • Related Posts

    US military aircraft drops ammo in Borno

      No fewer than three United States military aircraft landed in Nigeria between Thursday and Friday, findings by Sunday PUNCH have revealed. The aircraft, it was gathered, landed at military…

    Coup Attempt: I was a target, would have been shot — Defence Minister, Musa

    The Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa, says he was one of the targets of a coup plot and was meant to be shot by the orchestrators. General Musa spoke…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 1 views
    Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

    FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 1 views
    FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 2 views
    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

    US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 3 views
    US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 3 views
    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

    I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 4 views
    I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters