US builds up military strength in Mid-East, deploys amphibious assault ships over rising tension

The USS Bataan strike group and the 2,400-strong 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit are being deployed to the Mid-East ready for unexpected trouble arising from spiraling tension with Iran and potential reactions to the release of Donald Trump’s “Deal of the Century” – a plan for an Israel-Palestinian peace –  early next week.


On Friday, Jan. 24, the USS Bataan amphibious assault ship, escorted by two other battleships, had reached the Red Sea opposite the eastern coast of the Arabian Peninsula. They had taken part in a naval exercise with Morocco, which was interrupted for their new mission.

US intelligence watchers believe that Iran is getting ready to expand its assaults on US and allied targets, including Israel and Saudi Arabia, in escalating payback for the US assassination of Al Qods chief Gen. Qassem Soleimani on Jan. 3.

On Friday, the Pentagon revealed that 34 US servicemen had suffered “traumatic brain injury” from Iran’s missile strikes on the US Ain al-Asad air base in Iraq on Jan. 8. Earlier, only 11 were reported injured, while President Trump had stated initially that no US troops had been hurt in the attack.

Gen. Frank McKenzie, head of the US Central Command in the Middle East, speaking from the deck of the Bataan, said, “Although the Soleimani killing was a deterrent, Iran continues to pose a very real threat.”

DEBKAfile’s military sources additionally attribute the latest American military movements to a reassessment of the tasks assigned to the US forces stationed in Iraq. Their new focus has moved to the semiautonomous Kurdish Republic (KRG) in northern Iraq. The three US airbases in other parts of the country, Ain al Asad, Balad and Taiji, will remain in place. However, three new American bases are under construction in Kurdistan.

Source: Debkafile

  • Related Posts

    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

      Suspected bandits have attacked Kakafu community, a remote settlement in the Patigi Local Government Area of Kwara State, kidnapping four persons. The attackers kidnapped four residents, including one man,…

    Sowore: I was arrested, detained five times in 2025, yet I’m not broken

      Omoyele Sowore, a human rights activist and former presidential candidate, says he was detained five times in 2025, but he did not allow the experience to discourage him. He…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 2 views
    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

    US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 3 views
    US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 3 views
    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

    I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 4 views
    I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

    Sowore: I was arrested, detained five times in 2025, yet I’m not broken

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 4 views
    Sowore: I was arrested, detained five times in 2025, yet I’m not broken

    Miyetti Allah denies criminal links, seeks US bill review

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 4 views
    Miyetti Allah denies criminal links, seeks US bill review