12 Borno women abducted, community razed

 

Suspected Boko Haram terrorists have abducted 12 women in Mussa district, Askira-Uba Local Government Area of Borno State.

The victims were reportedly seized around 5 p.m. on Saturday while returning from their farmlands.

In a separate attack on Sunday, suspected Boko Haram terrorists also launched an over two-hour assault in the Magumeri Local Government Area of the state, burning homes, vehicles, and shops.

Confirming the women farmers’ kidnapping on Sunday, Borno State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Nahum Daso, said an investigation had been launched.

“There was an abduction yesterday in Askira-Uba. Twelve females were abducted by suspected Boko Haram terrorists while returning from the farm,” he stated.

He called for calm and assured that security efforts were ongoing.

“When the investigation is concluded, it will be made public.”

Residents expressed concern and urged swift action. “The news reached us around 5 p.m. when their relatives could not trace them. As a community, we have informed our elected representatives, traditional leaders, and security agencies,” a resident, who asked not to be identified for safety reasons, told The PUNCH.

Also, suspected Boko Haram terrorists burnt homes, vehicles and shops in the Magumeri Local Government Area.

According to sources, the insurgents stormed the community around 1:15 a.m. on motorcycles, shooting sporadically and displacing residents before setting property ablaze.

ASP Daso confirmed to The PUNCH that no lives were lost.

“On November 23, at about 1:15 a.m., unknown gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram invaded Magumeri, burning some houses and vehicles. However, no one was killed. Normalcy has been restored based on joint efforts of security agencies,” he said.

The Executive Chairman of Magumeri, Abubakar Abdulkadir Yaro, said the attackers fled around 3 a.m. after being overwhelmed.

“Unfortunately, they set fire to residential houses and other property, but no life was lost. Our gallant troops and members of the Civilian JTF, Hunters, and volunteers responded to distress calls and successfully repelled the terrorists,” he added, commending the security operatives for their timely and coordinated response.

Residents praised security agencies for their presence and reassurance.

Ibrahim Hassan, a local, described the assault as “coordinated and planned. They chased people and set fire to homes, vehicles, and shops. Many of us were asleep and only woke up because of the noise and shouting.”

He said security personnel remained in the community after the attack and assured continued surveillance.

Following the attacks, Governor Babagana Zulum declared a state-wide day of fasting and prayers on Monday, November 24, to seek divine intervention.

In a broadcast, Zulum urged residents of all faiths to participate.

“Despite recent sporadic attacks, Borno State has witnessed a reasonable degree of stability. However, the unfortunate situation in the state, nation, and globe is a matter of grave concern. As people of faith, we believe our security strategy must be underpinned by prayers,” he said.

He called on residents to seek divine protection against sabotage and evil-doers, while commending their resilience and support for security forces.

“Your steadfastness, through relentless prayers, fasting, and support for our troops, Civilian Joint Task Force, hunters, and vigilantes, has been a source of inspiration and strength,” he said.

Meanwhile, Deputy Senate President Senator Barau Jibrin expressed confidence that northern Nigeria can overcome its deepening security challenges if leaders and institutions work together effectively. Speaking at the 25th Anniversary of the Arewa Consultative Forum in Kaduna, Barau said the North possesses the capacity and institutional strength to address insecurity, insisting that coordinated political will could replicate successes achieved in other regions.

“The problems confronting the North are surmountable. We have the capacity, leadership, and resources to deal with them,” he said. “What is required is unity, collaboration, and a coordinated approach. If other regions have overcome similar threats, nothing stops the North from doing the same.”

Barau urged Northern governors to leverage increased revenues, collaborate with federal lawmakers, and secure legislative backing for key security programmes.

He also encouraged the ACF to sustain dialogue among stakeholders, emphasizing that inclusive conversations are essential for lasting solutions.

“Let us not lose hope. With the right actions and effective use of our resources, we will overcome insecurity and every other challenge confronting our region. The North will rise again,” he stated.

Related Posts

Gunmen kill police inspector, seven others in Adamawa

  Suspected Boko Haram insurgents on Monday night attacked Gaya community in Hong Local Government Area of Adamawa State, killing a police inspector and seven civilians. The Chairman of Hong…

Lakurawa terrorists kill four soldiers in Sokoto

  No fewer than four soldiers were reportedly feared killed when suspected Lakurawa terrorists invaded Kebbe town in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State on Friday. Saturday PUNCH gathered…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 3 views
Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 2 views
Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 6 views
Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

Police kill two suspected kidnappers, recover arms in Anambra

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 5 views
Police kill two suspected kidnappers, recover arms in Anambra

Many tourists feared dead as helicopter crashes in Kenya

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 5 views
Many tourists feared dead as helicopter crashes in Kenya

Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 11 views
Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military