24-year-old Nigerian jailed for life in UK

 

A Nigerian national, Chukwuemeka Ahanonu, has been sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of a 56-year-old woman he attacked on a street in Leicester, United Kingdom, after crashing his car while under the influence of cannabis.

PUNCH Metro gathered from a report by Leicestershire Police that the 24-year-old assaulted the victim, Nila Patel, on June 24, 2025, along Infirmary Road. Following a trial at Leicester Crown Court, he was found guilty by a jury on Monday and sentenced on Tuesday.

According to the police, Ahanonu had been driving dangerously around the city centre prior to the incident, swerving across lanes, running red lights, and veering towards pedestrians before crashing his vehicle.

After the crash, he fled the scene and attacked Patel, who had just alighted from a bus and was walking home.

At the time of his arrest, officers discovered he had been smoking cannabis, with dealer bags of the substance valued at over £3,000 and three iPhones recovered from his car.

He had earlier pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, possession of cannabis with intent to supply, and assaulting an emergency worker after biting a female police officer.

Security personnel from the nearby Leicester Royal Infirmary restrained him until officers arrived, while medical staff treated Patel for severe injuries, including a fractured skull and brain trauma. She died two days later, prompting his re-arrest on suspicion of murder on June 26, 2025.

 

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Emma Matts, described the incident as “a horrific, violent and random attack” on an innocent woman.

“Ahanonu was unknown to the victim. She was simply walking home when she was subjected to this brutal assault,” Matts said, adding that CCTV footage of his driving before the crash was “frightening and disturbing.”

She also commended members of the public who intervened, noting that their swift actions in restraining the suspect and assisting the victim were crucial in securing justice.

In a separate development, two Ireland-based men, Francis Ogbuefi, 42, and Steven Silvester, 32, were sentenced to a combined 16 years in prison for their involvement in a global money laundering scheme.

According to Raidió Teilifís Éireann, the duo were prosecuted following an investigation by Ireland’s Garda National Economic Crime Bureau. Ogbuefi was handed a nine-year sentence, while Silvester received seven and a half years.

Authorities say the cases highlight growing concerns over transnational crimes involving some foreign nationals

Related Posts

47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

  Officials have told the Associated Press that 47 people died when a boat capsized in a river in Sokoto State on Thursday. The boat was carrying people who were…

Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

  US President Donald Trump said Wednesday he was launching a major new campaign to target Iran’s economy, threatening “tremendous” punishment on any country that helps or does business with…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 2 views
47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 3 views
Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 5 views
Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo