DSS asked me about #EndBadGovernance protesters, Labour Party — Ajaero

Joe Ajaero, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), has shed light on his recent ordeal with the Department of State Services (DSS) and other security agencies following his arrest on Monday.

The DSS had detained Ajaero for over 16 hours at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja, seizing his phones and international passport.

However, Ajaero confirmed on Tuesday that his items had been returned. He said, “Yes, it is true. My phones and passport have been returned to me by the DSS.”

Reflecting on his experience, Ajaero described it as a troubling episode.

“It was like the DSS arrested me on behalf of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) department of the Police because IRT operatives came to interrogate me and take my statement while I was detained,” he explained.

“The DSS also interrogated me and took my statement. I do not know why they had to embarrass me publicly like that.”

Ajaero detailed the nature of the interrogations. “The same IRT operatives in whose office we were on August 29, 2024, alongside Mr. Femi Falana, came and asked the same questions I was asked in the previous meeting with them.

“They asked about the operator of Iva Valley Bookshop on the second floor of the NLC secretariat building. They asked me whether we had communicated on phone, whether he (the Iva Valley operator) communicated with me in writing, and so on.”

He continued, “They also asked if I know the protesters (#EndBadGovernance or #EndHunger), especially Eleojo Opaluwa, a staff of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE). I told them I knew him because I employed him at NUEE.”

Regarding the Labour Party, Ajaero noted, “They equally asked about the Labour Party (LP), whether we are running the party. I told them we do not run Labour Party, but that we are a trustee of the party.

“I also told them that the Labour Party they see today was founded when Adams Oshiomhole was President of NLC.”

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 13 views
    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 11 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda