Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

 

Drone strikes by the Malian army on Sunday killed at least 10 civilians as they prepared to celebrate a traditional mass wedding, security and local sources told AFP.

The strikes in the central region of San come amid a security crisis following large-scale coordinated attacks last month by Al-Qaeda-linked jihadists and Tuareg separatists, which have rocked the country’s ruling junta.

A resident of the Tene locality where the strikes took place told AFP that “10 of our children” were killed.

“What was supposed to be a moment of joy in the village turned into immense sorrow,” he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A security source, who requested anonymity for safety reasons, confirmed the strikes.

“The tragedy occurred as the villagers were preparing the second edition of this traditional collective wedding, a major cultural event for this community,” he told AFP.

The strikes targeted “a procession of motorbikes following one another”, he added.

“That is certainly what drew the attention of the drones.”

A local elected official also confirmed to AFP that around 10 people had been killed.

“A wedding was about to take place when the drones killed at least 10 civilians. It is truly a time of mourning,” he told AFP.

Mali has been in a critical security condition since the Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims (JNIM) teamed up with Tuareg rebels of the Azawad Liberation Front (FLA) in April to target ruling junta positions.

A coordinated deadly offensive on April 25 and 26 targeted strategic towns and killed the country’s influential defence minister.

Kidal and other towns and villages in the north were captured and are now controlled by the FLA and the jihadists, who have since imposed a blockade on the capital, Bamako.

Since 2012, Mali has faced a deepening security crisis driven by violence affiliated with al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group, as well as separatists and community-based criminal networks.

AFP

Related Posts

Police extradite romance scam suspect to US over $1.5m fraud

  The Nigeria Police Force has extradited an alleged online romance scam suspect, Samuel Ugberease, also known as “Putsammy”, “Putput”, and “Sammy”, to the United States to face charges of…

Nigerian professor jailed 70 months in US for $1.4m fraud

  A United States federal court has sentenced a Nigerian-born former nonprofit chief executive, Dr Nkechy Ezeh, to 70 months in prison for orchestrating a $1.4 million fraud scheme involving…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 1 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 1 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 2 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe