16 residents, vigilantes feared killed in military air strike in Zamfara

More than 16 residents were reportedly killed after a military air strike tore through Tungar Kara community, Maradun LGA of Zamfara state.

Zagazola Makama, a counter-insurgency publication focused on the Lake Chad region, quoted intelligence sources as saying the victims include members of the Zamfara Community Protection Guard (ZCPG), vigilantes, and residents of the community who were called to respond to the incursion of gunmen.

“The vigilantes were mistaken for bandits, shortly after the bandits had fled the scene,” the report said.

“So far, 16 dead bodies have been retrieved, but the total number of casualties is not yet clear.”

Olusola Akinboyewa, director of public relations and information, Nigerian Air Force (NAF) headquarters, did not immediately respond to TheCable’s requests for comments on the incident.

However, in a statement on Sunday, Akinboyewa said “a devastatingly well-coordinated air-ground assault executed on 10 January 2025” through Operation Fansan Yamma, “delivered a crushing blow to banditry in Zamfara state”.

“Local intelligence reports confirmed that the bandits, loyal to notorious leader Kachallah Bello Turji, suffered heavy casualties. Scores of bandits were neutralized, while many others, including some top commanders, sustained varying degrees of injuries.

“Sequel to the fierce engagement, Kachallah Turji’s whereabouts remain unknown, adding further pressure on his crumbling network.

“The operation was meticulously executed, with real-time coordination from an Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance platform overhead, ensuring accurate target correlation.

“The identified targets were swiftly engaged using rockets and cannons in multiple passes, delivering devastating blows to the enemy.

“The aircrew maintained visual and radio contact with the ground troops. The bandits, in a desperate bid to escape, were observed fleeing eastward of the hill, prompting further engagements that successfully neutralized additional targets.”

The statement added that residents of Zamfara communities have hailed NAF’s operations against bandits.

“This resounding success has been met with widespread celebrations from locals in Zamfara state, who expressed relief and gratitude for the operation’s positive impact,” the statement added.

“In a heartening outcome, several kidnapped victims were also freed, bringing hope to many families affected by the banditry.

“The Nigerian Air Force has reiterated its unwavering commitment to coordinating with ground forces to eradicate all forms of criminality in the country.

“Together, we will defeat all enemies militating against the security of our territories and wellbeing of our people, paving the way for the peace and prosperity of our Great Nation.”

  • Related Posts

    US military aircraft drops ammo in Borno

      No fewer than three United States military aircraft landed in Nigeria between Thursday and Friday, findings by Sunday PUNCH have revealed. The aircraft, it was gathered, landed at military…

    Coup Attempt: I was a target, would have been shot — Defence Minister, Musa

    The Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa, says he was one of the targets of a coup plot and was meant to be shot by the orchestrators. General Musa spoke…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 1 views
    Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 15.1%

    FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 1 views
    FG files charges against El-Rufai over intercepting NSA Ribadu’s phone

    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 2 views
    Over 50,000 Nigerian Doctors Practise Abroad – NMA

    US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 3 views
    US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to B’Haram, cybercrime

    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 3 views
    Bandits kidnap Four In Fresh Attack On Kwara Community

    I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters

    • By admin
    • February 16, 2026
    • 4 views
    I Will Contest 2027 Presidential Election, Peter Obi Assures Supporters