24 year-old musician dies in custody in Delta — police claim low blood sugar killed him

 

A 24-year-old up-and-coming music artiste in Delta State, Paul Obukowho, has died in police custody.

Obukowho, who was arrested by officers of the Rapid Response Squad of the state police command on Wednesday, March 26, 2025, was allegedly tortured to death.

The Director-General of the Young Nigerian Rights Organisation, Victor Ojei, said Obukowho was subjected to physical abuse in detention and eventually died on Saturday.

However, the police said the deceased was not tortured, adding that he was suffering from low blood sugar.

Speaking to Punch, Ojei said, “On the morning of Wednesday, March 26, 2025, Master Prosper Ejiro (19) and Ejiro Obukowho (22), both laundry workers, were on their way to work when they were stopped by officers of the RRS.

“The officers detained Prosper Ejiro for wearing military camouflage shorts and subsequently demanded to be taken to his residence. Ejiro Obukowho followed them on foot, as he was not allowed to enter the police vehicle.

“Upon arrival at their residence, the officers conducted a search but found nothing incriminating. Despite this, they detained Ejiro. Later that evening, at around 5:00pm, Obukowho and Ejiro visited the police station to facilitate Prosper’s release.

“However, upon arrival, Paul was also detained. Reports indicate that he was slapped, stomped on, and handcuffed simply for advocating for his brother’s release. His younger brother, Ejiro, was threatened and forced to leave the premises.”

According to Ojei, the policemen accused Obukowho of hitting their car when they arrived at his home the previous day.

“Paul and Prosper were summoned by an officer identified as Shepherd, who informed them that Paul would be detained for five days. Paul was then subjected to further brutality. Three officers handcuffed him, beat him with wood on his knees, and used pepper spray on him.

“Prosper, who was forced out of the room, could hear Paul’s screams of ‘God help me’ as the officers continued their assault,” he added.

He further stated that Paul had become completely unresponsive, as he could no longer speak, stand, or even sit, adding that he also vomited glucose given to him by a policeman.

Ojei said the deceased was taken to several hospitals and eventually passed away at about 4:00am on Saturday.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer of the State Command, Bright Edafe, said the deceased was not tortured.

He said, “That boy was suffering from low blood sugar. It was unfortunate that he was in the custody of the RRS when the attack came. We took him to the police clinic, then to the Specialist Hospital, before he died at the Federal Medical Centre this morning.

“However, if the family feels there is any foul play, as usual, an autopsy is the last resort

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

Nigeria records 1,326 press attacks — Report

  Nigeria has recorded 1,326 press freedom violations and 28 deaths of journalists over a nine-year period, according to a report by the Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development, CJID,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 3 views
Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

NYSC Corps member stabs father three times to death in Abuja

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 6 views
NYSC Corps member stabs father three times to death in Abuja

Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 9 views
Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

Estimated DR Congo Ebola Death Toll Jumps To 131

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 7 views
Estimated DR Congo Ebola Death Toll Jumps To 131

US moves to revoke citizenship of Nigerian convicted in $11.6m fraud case

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 10 views
US moves to revoke citizenship of Nigerian convicted in $11.6m fraud case

Seven soldiers, civilian feared killed in Lakurawa Sokoto ambush

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 12 views
Seven soldiers, civilian feared killed in Lakurawa Sokoto ambush