Eight kidnapped WASSCE students, 11 others regain freedom in Rivers after 21-days

 

The eight candidates of the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) abducted by pirates along the Bille waterways in Degema Local Government Area of Rivers States have been rescued after spending 21 days in captivity.

The victims were rescued on Monday evening by a local security outfit, the Royal Fouchee Security Services’ popularly known as the Amama Soldiers.

The outfit belongs to a former leader of the Niger Delta Peoples’ Volunteer Force (NDPVF) and current Amayanabo (King) of Torusaramapiri in Degema LGA, Alj. Mujahid Asari-Dokubo.

The victims were abducted on May 6 after the pirates hijacked two passenger boats travelling to Bille in Degema.

The abductors contacted the victims’ families and demanded a ransom of N100million to set them free.

Asari-Dokubo commended his operarives for the swift rescue operation, saying the process of freeing the victims started on Sunday in the creek.

He said he sent his fighters to undertake the operation following a plea by the Directorate of State Security, adding that one of the victims, who had paid a ransom of N10million for his freedom assisted in the rescue effort.

Asari-Dokubo described the action of the pirates as man’s inhumanity to man, especially as they starved and subjected the victims to harrowing experiences.

He said: “These victims have been there (captivity) for 21-days. This is the height of man’s inhumanity to man. You steal your fellow men and dignify it by calling it kidnapping. Steal your fellow human being and keep him somewhere, starve him, ask for money.

“One of our brothers was among the kidnapped people and he paid N10 million. He was the one who assisted us to the camp.”

The monarch said he was worried over the whereabouts of a military officer, who was also in the boat when the pirates struck, fearing that he might have been killed.

He said: “The military man who was kidnapped along with them has not been accounted for. This is the uniform of the military man, maybe they have killed him. This is his ID card. His name is Salihu Ibrahim.

“Anybody who knows anything about the military man, he is a Lance Corporal. He was supposed to be among the people kidnapped. He was supposed to be the 20th person. 19 of them (abductees), he cannot be found. His uniform is here, 29 Battalion.”

“He (the soldier) was going to Bille when they kidnapped him. He has not been accounted for”, the monarch said in an emotion-laden voice, even as he vowed to end kidnapping and sea piracy along the Kalabari waterways”.

One of the suspects identified as Victor Friday said he was working for a five-man gang who masterminded the abduction led by an indigene of Bayelsa State named ‘Kentebe’, who was at large.

He narratimed how the gang carried out their operation, saying he never took part in the wicked act because he only worked in the camp located in the creek.

He said: “I was not part of the gang. They only sent me on errands. I wasnt part of those engaged in straling.”

A victim, who had earlier regained his freedom and a boat driver identified as Victor Akinloye also spoke on the incident.

Akinloye further said he and the others held hostage were beaten, stripped and disposed of their mobile phones and subjected to inhuman conditions in the cold.

He said: “After carrying us from the creek, getting to a spot. We came down and started pushing the boat. We got to a point and discovered that some other Bille people were inside the boat.

“They kept all of us inside the boat. We were thoroughly beaten, naked (stripped). They collected our phones, our ATM cards, and withdrew our money. When I came out, I ran to our King, Alhaji Mujahi Asari-Dokubo and told him I knew the place.

“He said he was told such a thing happened. So after three to four days, he sent for me and I promised him that I know the environment (exact creek location), though I don’t drive that place (route) but as a sea-going man I can locate the place.

“So we had to leave and by the grace of God, we went there (camp) successfully and we captured (rescued) them”.

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

  The United Kingdom has advised its citizens against all travel to parts of 11 Nigerian states, while warning against all but essential travel to parts of 19 states and…

Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo

  The Osun state police command says 60-year-old Tajudeen Yusuf was shot dead in Osogbo on Wednesday shortly after some hoodlums allegedly attempted to gain access to David Adeleke, popularly…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 2 views
47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 3 views
Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 5 views
Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo