EXTRA: Soldier commits suicide after killing a customs officer in Seme

A soldier attached to 243 Recce Battalion Ibereko, Badagry, LCP Mahmud Sulaiman, turned the gun on himself after he shot dead a customs officer at Seme border on Wednesday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the incident occurred when the team leader was trying to retrieve the gun from Sulaiman following his strange behaviour.

“In the process of retrieving the cocked weapon from him, which he resisted, he accidentally fired a shot and the stray bullet hit one Inspector of Custom, C.N Walter.

“The customs officer, who was attached to Seme Border Area Command, was rushed to Badagry General Hospital for treatment.

“But unfortunately, the customs officer died at about 6:40 a.m. on Thursday in the hospital.

“Subsequently, Sulaiman also shot himself and died on the spot,” the source said.

NAN gathered that the incident occurred at about 7:45 p.m. on Wednesday at Oloko checkpoint, Gbaji on Badagry-Seme expressway.

It was learnt that Sulaiman, who was recently redeployed to the Ibereko Battalion from the Theater of Operation in the North-East, had been behaving abnormally since assumption of duty in Badagry.

“He always cock his AK 47 rifle fully loaded with ammunition, an action that made his Team Leader to report the matter to the Commanding Officer of 243 Recce Battalion, Col. Nicholas Rume, where he was serving.

“The commanding officer immediately ordered for the retrieval of the weapon from him,” he said.

Contacted, the Customs Public Relations Officer in Seme border, Mr Abdulahi Hussiain, confirmed the incident, saying that the situation is under control.

“It is true, it was an accident but the situation is under control now.

“It is unfortunate the soldier committed suicide,” he said.

  • Related Posts

    Rivers Police Arrest Three Over Killing Of Officers, Recover Stolen Rifles

      The Rivers State Police Command says it has arrested three suspects in connection with the killing of two police officers during a stop-and-search operation in Aluu, Ikwerre Local Government…

    Court sentences two men to death by hanging over rape, murder of teenage girl in Anambra

      The Anambra high court in Ogidi has sentenced two men — Elochukwu Belonwu and Chukwuebuka Ofokwu — to death by hanging over the rape and murder of Jennifer Anene,…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 3 views
    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

    FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 6 views
    FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

    RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 11 views
    RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

    47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 3 views
    47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 5 views
    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

    UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 5 views
    UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states