EFCC, NCoS deny alleged attempt to take Emefiele from Kuje centre

 

The Nigerian Correctional Service, NCoS has denied alleged attempt by the Department of State Service, DSS and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC to take former Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, out of Kuje centre.

Also, the DSS and the EFCC, both of which were linked to the alleged act, denied their involvement.

Recall that a group, the Justice Centre, had alleged of a failed collaborative attempt by the government security agencies to take the former CBN boss out of Kuje Correctional Centre following court judgement that ordered his release.

 

The development compelled the House of Representatives Committee on Public Petitions to summon heads of the three agencies to determine the veracity of the allegation.

Speaking variously during the meeting with the committee on Thursday, the three agencies, through their representatives, denied their involvement.

The EFCC was represented by Silvanus Haliru, SAN while the Nigerian Correctional Centre was represented by the Deputy Comptroller, Nwakeze Emmanuel.

The chairman of the panel, Mike Eteba, who repeatedly asked the correctional center to state the truth about what transpired, was told nothing happened.

On its part, the EFCC said it has no plan to take Emefiele away and can’t talk on the matter as the incident never happened.

The panel chairman and the committee ruled that since EFCC and correctional centers have denied it, the former CBN Governor’s lawyer can proceed to the court to file contempt charges if the EFCC makes any further move or if they feel strongly that the order of the court has been violated.

The lawyer to the petitioners while addressing the media insisted that the alleged attempt to forcefully abduct Mr. Emefiele from lawful custody did take place.

He vowed that the organisation will press contempt proceeding against the EFCC and the DSS should there be a repeat of the act.

The representative of CESJET, Mr Ahmed Tijani slammed the EFCC and DSS over their penchant for disobedience to court order, adding that the agencies had failed to respect several orders of courts granting Emefiele bail.

“We are not here to challenge the matter in court but to report the alleged attempt to forcefully remove Emefiele by EFCC from the Correctional Centre,” he said

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 12 views
    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda