Armed groups recruited over 400 children into DRC conflict in 2025 — Report

 

Over 400 children in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) were recruited by armed actors in January and February of 2025, a Save the Children report has found.

The international charity organisation said some recruits were as young as 14, with some reportedly picked up from schools and the streets.

Some of the children were reported to have been picked up from their communities and taken to the bushes to be trained to handle weapons against their will.

The recruitment, use, and abduction of children in armed conflict is a grave violation of international humanitarian law and may constitute a war crime, said Save the Children.

“These practices expose them to extreme violence, and cause severe, long-term physical and psychological harm,” the report released on Friday said.

“Children are often targeted for recruitment because they are cheap, easier to control and manipulate, and because they look to adults to protect them.

“Usually unpaid, they are used to do tasks adults do not want to do and may also be coerced into carrying out acts of violence, or have violence perpetrated onto them — for example, as girls recruited to be ‘wives’ of soldiers.”

UNICEF had reported that grave violations including killing and maiming, rape and other forms of sexual violence, and abduction have tripled since the latest escalation of violence in DRC, which began in January.

Last year, Save the Children said it provided psychosocial and economic support to children formerly associated with armed groups in the country.

“The situation is unacceptable, and urgent action is needed to protect the children of the DRC,” Greg Ramm, Save the Children’s country director in DRC, said.

Ramm urged all parties to the conflict to take immediate measures to prevent and end these grave violations.

He also called on the international community to ensure that investigations are conducted and perpetrators be held to account.

Related Posts

US court jails Nigerian 8 years over $1.3m cyber fraud

  A Nigerian man, Matthew A. Akande, has been sentenced to eight years in prison for orchestrating a cyber scheme that targeted tax preparation firms and defrauded the U.S. government…

Report: How Epstein, ex-Israeli PM exploited Nigeria insurgency to push surveillance, oil deals

  Jeffrey Epstein, American financier and child sex offender, worked with former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak to profit from the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria, a Drop Site News…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Bandits Kill 30, Abduct Several In Zamfara Community

  • By admin
  • February 21, 2026
  • 1 views
Bandits Kill 30, Abduct Several In Zamfara Community

Five Fulani youths killed in suspected militia attack in Plateau

  • By admin
  • February 21, 2026
  • 3 views
Five Fulani youths killed in suspected militia attack in Plateau

Police apprehend officers for allegedly shooting, killing two passersby

  • By admin
  • February 21, 2026
  • 3 views
Police apprehend officers for allegedly shooting, killing two passersby

Police arrest man for slitting wife’s throat after minor quarrel

  • By admin
  • February 21, 2026
  • 3 views
Police arrest man for slitting wife’s throat after minor quarrel

Court Awards ₦30m Against Police For Declaring Sowore Wanted

  • By admin
  • February 21, 2026
  • 4 views
Court Awards ₦30m Against Police For Declaring Sowore Wanted

Teen who fled to Nigeria after London stabbing gets life jail

  • By admin
  • February 21, 2026
  • 4 views
Teen who fled to Nigeria after London stabbing gets life jail