Armed groups recruited over 400 children into DRC conflict in 2025 — Report

 

Over 400 children in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) were recruited by armed actors in January and February of 2025, a Save the Children report has found.

The international charity organisation said some recruits were as young as 14, with some reportedly picked up from schools and the streets.

Some of the children were reported to have been picked up from their communities and taken to the bushes to be trained to handle weapons against their will.

The recruitment, use, and abduction of children in armed conflict is a grave violation of international humanitarian law and may constitute a war crime, said Save the Children.

“These practices expose them to extreme violence, and cause severe, long-term physical and psychological harm,” the report released on Friday said.

“Children are often targeted for recruitment because they are cheap, easier to control and manipulate, and because they look to adults to protect them.

“Usually unpaid, they are used to do tasks adults do not want to do and may also be coerced into carrying out acts of violence, or have violence perpetrated onto them — for example, as girls recruited to be ‘wives’ of soldiers.”

UNICEF had reported that grave violations including killing and maiming, rape and other forms of sexual violence, and abduction have tripled since the latest escalation of violence in DRC, which began in January.

Last year, Save the Children said it provided psychosocial and economic support to children formerly associated with armed groups in the country.

“The situation is unacceptable, and urgent action is needed to protect the children of the DRC,” Greg Ramm, Save the Children’s country director in DRC, said.

Ramm urged all parties to the conflict to take immediate measures to prevent and end these grave violations.

He also called on the international community to ensure that investigations are conducted and perpetrators be held to account.

Related Posts

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  Drone strikes by the Malian army on Sunday killed at least 10 civilians as they prepared to celebrate a traditional mass wedding, security and local sources told AFP. The…

Police extradite romance scam suspect to US over $1.5m fraud

  The Nigeria Police Force has extradited an alleged online romance scam suspect, Samuel Ugberease, also known as “Putsammy”, “Putput”, and “Sammy”, to the United States to face charges of…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 3 views
Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

NYSC Corps member stabs father three times to death in Abuja

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 3 views
NYSC Corps member stabs father three times to death in Abuja

Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 7 views
Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

Estimated DR Congo Ebola Death Toll Jumps To 131

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 7 views
Estimated DR Congo Ebola Death Toll Jumps To 131

US moves to revoke citizenship of Nigerian convicted in $11.6m fraud case

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 9 views
US moves to revoke citizenship of Nigerian convicted in $11.6m fraud case

Seven soldiers, civilian feared killed in Lakurawa Sokoto ambush

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 11 views
Seven soldiers, civilian feared killed in Lakurawa Sokoto ambush