Army chief Randrianirina sworn in as Madagascar’s president

 

Michael Randrianirina, commander of CAPSAT, Madagascar’s elite army unit, has been sworn in as the country’s president.

Blaring trumpets, raised swords, and loud cheers welcomed Randrianirina as he took over the role of leading the Indian Ocean island from deposed President Andry Rajoelina, a man he once protected.

Lawmakers impeached Rajoelina this week after he fled the country as pressure from the weeks-long protests mounted.

His abrupt but quiet departure occurred after soldiers defected and joined the protesters who had demanded his resignation.

The African Union (AU) has kicked against the political turmoil in the once relatively peaceful country and has suspended the nation from the bloc.

The United Nations (UN) has also condemned the military takeover.

In the initial days of the protests, the multilateral organisation said at least 22 people were killed, but Madagascar rejected the figures.

Randrianirina’s swearing-in ceremony was held at the constitutional court, an institution he suspended after seizing control.

“I will fully, completely, and justly fulfil the high responsibilities of my position as president of the Republic of Madagascar,” he said.

“I swear that I will exercise the power entrusted to me and dedicate all my strength to defending and strengthening national unity and human rights.”

The CAPSAT unit supported Rajoelina during the 2009 coup that first brought him to power.

He later won the presidential election in 2018, completed a full term and was re-elected in 2023.

Randrianirina had said the military would rule for up to two years, alongside a transitional government, before new elections are organised.

But the constitutional court asked him to hold polls in 60 days in accordance with the law.

Madagascar
Michael Randrianirina

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 10 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda