Bako Gorgore, ISWAP commander who led onslaught against Shekau, ‘killed’ by army

 

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have reportedly killed Bako Gorgore, a senior commander of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

According to Zagazola, a counter-insurgency expert focused on the Lake Chad region, Gorgore, also known as Abou Mustapha, was killed during an encounter with troops in Kukawa LGA of Borno state.

His death was reportedly confirmed through multiple intelligence channels after security operatives intercepted internal communications among ISWAP fighters acknowledging the development.

Gorgore, believed to be about 60 years old, was regarded as one of the longest-serving figures within the insurgent group.

Over the years, he held several key positions, including senior membership of ISWAP’s Shura council, the group’s highest decision-making body.

He had previously been reported dead in 2022 alongside Aba Ibrahim, another senior ISWAP figure.

In May 2021, Gorgore and Ibrahim led a major onslaught against the faction of Boko Haram known as Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad (JAS).

The offensive culminated in the death of Abubakar Shekau, the longtime leader of the faction. Seventeen of Shekau’s commanders subsequently surrendered and pledged allegiance to ISWAP.

Zagazola said Gorgore’s death could have significant implications for the leadership structure of the group.

“The confirmed killing of Gorgore could have important implications for the leadership cohesion of ISWAP. As a senior Shura member with deep operational experience dating back to the early Boko Haram years, his removal potentially disrupts command continuity within the group,” it said.

“The insurgency in the Lake Chad region has historically depended on experienced commanders capable of navigating the complex terrain and maintaining loyalty among fighters.

“The death of a veteran figure like Gorgore weakens institutional memory within the insurgent network and may also trigger internal power struggles as younger commanders compete to fill the vacuum.”

Related Posts

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  The Nigeria Police Force has confirmed the death of 17 police officers following a terrorist attack on the Nigerian Army Special Forces School in Buni Yadi, Gujba Local Government…

Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

  The Presidency has dismissed claims that Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, the senior Islamic State West Africa Province commander eliminated in a joint Nigeria-United States military operation, had been killed in a…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 14 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe