Bayelsa Guber: Residents worry over activities of the Nigerian Army

s

Not a few residents of Bayelsa state have expressed concern over the alleged unprofessional conduct of the men of the Nigerian Army in the ongoing Bayelsa state governorship election.

Beside Governor
Seriake Dickson who had earlier raised the alarm over the impunity and
brigandage visited on Bayelsans by the Nigerian Army and other security agencies
deployed to the state, many residents of the state are outraged over seeming
plot to sabotage the electoral process or unfairly tilt the outcome in favour
of a pre-determined winner.

A statement by a
resident of Yenogoa, the Bayelsa state capital, Mr. Green Ogbebor which was
made available to crimefacts.news electronically suggest that there may be a
premeditated plot to use security forces to subvert the will of the people of
Bayelsa state.

His statement read in
part: “Military personnel attached to 6th Division in PortHarcourt under
the command of Major General Sarham and Colonel Wase came into Bayelsa from
yesterday evening  and were drafted across the state where they disrupted
voting and abducted party officials. In Ekeremor, they took away Hon Pius Jonah
and he is yet to be seen as at now and also shot sporadically in Ekeowe in
Southern Ijaw LGA. They have also proceeded to the (RAC) collation centres
where collation may take place and with what happened in Rivers State in the
last election, we are worried about the potential loss of lives in the various
LGA’s across the state.”

However efforts to
reach the Commander of the 6th Division was unfruitful but an Army source who
craved anonymity as he was not authorized to talk about the role of the Army in
the Bayelsa state governorship election said the allegation may just be a
rehashed hearsay, as the military was briefed and mandated to operate within
their professional boundaries.

“When elections
go bad, it is easy to blame the security forces. I am sure the Army will do
their best to stem the tide of violence in Bayelsa state election. Remember it
is still the same Army they commended for coming to the rescue of the people in
Nembe, when a rally was attacked by armed hoodlums”. Temel Capvex

  • Related Posts

    Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

      Nyesom Wike, minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), says President Bola Tinubu could have secured victory for the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the recent Osun governorship election…

    Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

      The Edo State House of Assembly has elected Yekini Idiaye, the lawmaker representing Akoko Edo Constituency I, as its speaker.   Idiaye’s emergence followed the resignation of the former…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

    Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

    Cement cheaper in Kenya, Togo than Nigeria — FCCPC probe

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Cement cheaper in Kenya, Togo than Nigeria — FCCPC probe

    Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

    US lifts 12-year restriction on vessels calling at Nigerian ports

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    US lifts 12-year restriction on vessels calling at Nigerian ports

    NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 7 views
    NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury