BREAKING: Labour halts protest against telecom tariff hike

 

The Nigeria Labour Congress has suspended its planned nationwide protest against the recent 50% hike in telecom tariffs approved by the Federal Government.

The labour union announced the protest last week, citing the burden the tariff increase would place on Nigerians.

However, following a meeting with government representatives at the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation on Monday night, the NLC resolved to halt the demonstration pending further discussions.

Speaking to journalists after the meeting, NLC President, Joe Ajaero, said the government had agreed to set up a larger committee to review the entire tariff structure.

According to him, the committee will be composed of five representatives from both sides and is expected to submit its findings within two weeks.

Ajaero stated, “We emphasized that the NLC is the largest organisation in Africa, and no stakeholder consultation can exclude us and still stand.

“On that basis, they agreed to form a broader committee to ensure a fair and inclusive agreement to look at the entire tariff structure as a model to come out with a realistic and all-inclusive agreement.

“So the committee will be made up of five representatives, from both sides and expected to come out with a result after two weeks.

“That will determine the next line of action and the process of engagement. The symbolic action of submitting the letters tomorrow will be put on hold until the outcome of such a committee.

“The outcome of such a committee is what will determine our next line of action in terms of protest, in terms of boycott, and in terms of even withdrawal of services, which are the three issues we put online.”

He added that the union’s next steps, including protests, boycotts, or service withdrawals, would depend on the outcome of the committee’s work.

While the planned symbolic submission of protest letters has been put on hold, Ajaero noted that the NLC remains concerned about other pressing economic issues, including electricity tariffs and burdensome taxes on workers.

*“We have also expressed our displeasure over the high electricity tariff and the unbearable tax regime, which is killing workers. These remain unresolved issues that must be addressed,” he said.

Details later…

Related Posts

ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

  The Community Court of Justice, ECOWAS has ordered the Federal Republic of Nigeria to urgently decongest its correctional facilities and end the prolonged detention of awaiting-trial inmates. The Court…

Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

  US President Donald Trump said he was postponing a planned attack on Iran scheduled for Tuesday at the request of Gulf leaders amid “serious negotiations” with Tehran. Trump’s sudden…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 6 views
Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

Uzodimma Secures Imo West Senatorial APC Ticket

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 7 views
Uzodimma Secures Imo West Senatorial APC Ticket

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 14 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 6 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 6 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians