Canada bans travels from Nigeria over Omicron COVID variant

The Canadian government has banned travellers from Nigeria and nine other African countries over concerns about the spread of the Omicron COVID-19 variant.

The country earlier announced a ban on South Africa, Eswatini, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, and Namibia.

In a statement on Tuesday, it said it was expanding the travel ban to Egypt, Nigeria, and Malawi.

“On November 26, 2021, the World Health Organization classified B.1.1.529 as a variant of concern called Omicron. Since then it has been found in a number of countries and regions, including the confirmation of several travel-related cases in Canada,” the statement reads.

”That is why today, the Minister of Health, the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, and the Honourable Marco Mendicino, Minister of Public Safety, announced additional border measures to reduce the risk of the importation and transmission of COVID-19 and its variants in Canada related to international travel.

“Based on data from ongoing surveillance efforts and the latest public health advice, the Government of Canada is expanding the list of countries with entry prohibitions originally announced on November 26, 2021, to include Egypt, Nigeria and Malawi.

“Effective tomorrow, foreign nationals who have been in any of these countries within the previous 14 days will not be permitted entry into Canada: Botswana, Egypt, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa and Zimbabwe.”

Canada had on Sunday detected its first cases of the Omicron variant in individuals who had ”recently travelled to Nigeria”.

On Wednesday, the Nigeria Centre for Disease and Control (NCDC) announced that the first cases of Omicron variant had been detected in the country.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) designated Omicron as a “variant of concern”, calling on global leaders to take action to contain its spread.

  • Related Posts

    ALERT: NAFDAC warns against unregistered menopause support capsules in circulation

      The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has warned Nigerians against the sale, distribution, purchase and use of unregistered Menofix composition. Menofix is sold as…

    Rivers seals six healthcare facilities over alleged illegal operations

      The Rivers state ministry of health has sealed six healthcare facilities over alleged illegal operations and arrested suspected unqualified medical practitioners operating in the state. Vincent Wachukwu, chairman of…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 3 views
    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

    FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 6 views
    FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

    RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 11 views
    RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

    47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 3 views
    47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 4 views
    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

    UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 5 views
    UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states