Christopher Musa: Officers behind foiled coup knew consequences of their action

 

Christopher Musa, Nigeria’s minister of defence, says military officers arrested over the foiled coup “must have made up their minds” about the consequences.

The 16 implicated officers, including a brigadier general and colonel, were arrested in October 2025, with the defence headquarters (DHQ) issuing a public statement on October 4 initially citing “acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations”.

On January 26, the DHQ finally confirmed that there was a plot to oust President Bola Tinubu.

The plot, which the military said was uncovered in late September 2025 through joint intelligence from the army, Department of State Services (DSS), and Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), allegedly involved plans to assassinate Tinubu, Vice-President Kashim Shettima, and other top government figures, as well as arrest senior military leaders.

Speaking during an appearance on TRT World, a Turkish broadcaster, Musa said the accused persons would receive a fair trial, with access to legal counsel of their choice.

He said families of the alleged coup plotters would be looked after by the government.

“They must have made up their minds when they decided to do this and must have considered their families,” Musa said.

“But even at that, the government is ensuring that their families are treated fairly.

“Their family members are not left alone. The government is making sure that their wives and children are looked after.

“The perpetrators already know the repercussion of their action, and I’m sure they are ready to face the wrath.”

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe