Court Strikes Out Nnamdi Kanu’s Motion Seeking Transfer From Sokoto Prison

 

Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has struck out an ex-parte motion filed by the convicted leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, seeking his transfer from the Sokoto Correctional Facility.

At Tuesday’s proceedings, Kanu’s legal representative, Demdoo Asan, a senior legal officer of the Legal Aid Council, informed the court that he wished to withdraw from the matter, citing irreconcilable issues.

He explained that since the last adjourned date, he had been in constant phone communication with the relatives of the applicant.

However, the relatives did not show up at the Legal Aid office to depose to the application, despite phone calls and promises to appear.

Demdoo added that Kanu sought to dictate the proceedings and control what counsel would say in court.

 

“He wants to write down what I would say while in court. But, as an officer of the court, I can’t in good faith accept that,” he said.

He further stated that after consulting with his superiors, they shared the same sentiment.

“As officers of the court, when a matter comes to us, we handle it as we see fit; otherwise, the applicant can find legal help elsewhere,” Demdoo said.

He then invoked Order 50, Rule 1 of the Federal High Court Rules, seeking to formally withdraw from the matter.

In his ruling, Justice Omotosho commended the counsel for upholding the dignity of the court.

He granted leave for Demdoo and the Legal Aid Council to withdraw from representing the defendant.

The judge added that the motion was incompetent. However, in the interest of justice and fairness, he directed that other parties involved be served with notice.

He noted that, since the last court sitting on December 8, 2025, there was no proof of service before the court.

Justice Omotosho thereafter ordered that the ex-parte motion be struck out for lacking competence.

Related Posts

DSS takes el-Rufai into custody from EFCC — Report

  Operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have taken Nasir el-Rufai into custody after the former governor of Kaduna spent two nights with the the Economic and Financial…

Owo Church Attack: DSS Witness Narrates How Forensic Analysis Implicated Suspected Attackers

  An officer of the Department of State Services has told Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court, Abuja, how cell phone analysis of the four men being prosecuted…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

FACT-CHECK: Video of Adamu Garba removing APC flag from office as sign to leave party, from 2022

  • By admin
  • February 18, 2026
  • 3 views
FACT-CHECK: Video of Adamu Garba removing APC flag from office as sign to leave party, from 2022

DSS takes el-Rufai into custody from EFCC — Report

  • By admin
  • February 18, 2026
  • 3 views
DSS takes el-Rufai into custody from EFCC — Report

Owo Church Attack: DSS Witness Narrates How Forensic Analysis Implicated Suspected Attackers

  • By admin
  • February 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Owo Church Attack: DSS Witness Narrates How Forensic Analysis Implicated Suspected Attackers

‘I went for engineering job’ — Nigerian captured in Ukraine war

  • By admin
  • February 18, 2026
  • 2 views
‘I went for engineering job’ — Nigerian captured in Ukraine war

Tinubu Signs Electoral Bill Into Law

  • By admin
  • February 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Tinubu Signs Electoral Bill Into Law

37 miners dead, 25 hospitalised after suspected gas poisoning in Plateau

  • By admin
  • February 18, 2026
  • 2 views
37 miners dead, 25 hospitalised after suspected gas poisoning in Plateau