Nine die as suspected stomach disease ravages Ebonyi community

No fewer than nine persons have died as a result of an outbreak of a disease suspected to be gastroenteritis at Ndiegu Amagu community, in the Ikwo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

Recall that recently, social media reports had claimed that 65 persons died of the virus.

However, the Senior Special Assistant to Ikwo LGA Chairman on ICT, Media, and Documentation, Ugonna Utulor, in a statement, said 18 cases of the virus were reported, while nine persons were confirmed dead.

According to the statement, “Earlier in November, there were reports of gastroenteritis outbreak at Ndiegu Amagu. The State Ministry of Health, WHO, State Primary Health Development Agency and Ikwo Local Government Council were informed.

“These bodies dispatched health officials to the area and samples were obtained and sent to the laboratory. All the tests were negative for Cholera.

“The number of reported deaths as of today 25/11/2021 is 9 while 18 cases were reported. Over 10 patients have been treated and discharged.

“Notwithstanding, the Ikwo Local Government released funds for procurement of drugs, Oral Dehydration Solution, Water Guards and other medicaments, in addition to medical supplies by WHO and State Ministry of Health.

“The health team distributed these items there and are still going there to retake another set of samples for laboratory examination.

“Sensational reports on Social Media overbloating the situation on ground does no good to any one. Meanwhile, WHO has released fund to its officials and the health experts will be moving to the affected area to continue it’s intervention in the situation.”

  • Related Posts

    ALERT: NAFDAC warns against unregistered menopause support capsules in circulation

      The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has warned Nigerians against the sale, distribution, purchase and use of unregistered Menofix composition. Menofix is sold as…

    Rivers seals six healthcare facilities over alleged illegal operations

      The Rivers state ministry of health has sealed six healthcare facilities over alleged illegal operations and arrested suspected unqualified medical practitioners operating in the state. Vincent Wachukwu, chairman of…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 3 views
    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

    FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 6 views
    FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

    RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 11 views
    RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

    47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 3 views
    47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 4 views
    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

    UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 5 views
    UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states