EFCC disowns lawyer prosecuting Stella Odua in fresh suit

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC on Tuesday, disowned a lawyer, Ibrahim Mohammed, who filed a fresh charge bordering on perjury and document falsification against Sen. Stella Oduah in the name of the anti-graft agency.

EFCC’s counsel, H. A Okonofua, told Justice James Omotosho of a Federal High Court, Abuja, that the commission did not send Mohammed to prosecute Oduah, the sole defendant in the matter.

Upon resumed hearing, though Mohammed and Oduah were not in court, Okonofua informed that the report of the investigation carried out by the anti-corruption agency was out.

While informing the court about the outcome of the investigation, she said that, “the counsel, Ibrahim Mohammed, was de-seconded back to Nigeria police on 14 November, 2022, and he was not sent to represent the EFCC to prosecute the defendant,” in the charge he filed in June.

Justice Omotosho drew Okonofua’s attention to the fact that the report was not before the court.

The lawyer admitted that the report was filed late.

The judge, consequently, adjourned the matter until Oct. 4 for the investigation report to be before the court.

Recall that the EFCC was expected to arraign Oduah before Justice Omotosho the next day (Tuesday) on alleged perjury and document falsification.

The ex-lawmaker, who represented Anambra North Senatorial Distinct in the 9th National Assembly, is being accused of misrepresenting facts about whether or not she participated in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) and was issued a certificate to that effect.

She was alleged to have falsified documents with which she got into public offices, including being a minister and a senator in the fresh charge.

But on July 11when the matter was called for arraignment, Mohammed, a police officer, who appeared for EFCC, admitted committing error in filing the charge in the name of the anti-graft agency.

He told the court that though he was seconded to the EFCC, he had been redeployed back to the Force Headquarters in November last year.

He said it was in error he signed the charge in the name of EFCC Office in Benin.

The judge had ordered for his arrest and investigation by the commission.

  • Related Posts

    Bandits kill 33 in Kebbi LG deadly attack

      The Kebbi State Police Command has reinforced security in the Bui District of Arewa Local Government Area following a deadly armed cattle rustling incident that left 33 people dead.…

    Ex-South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol Gets Life Sentence For Insurrection

      A South Korean court sentenced ex-president Yoon Suk Yeol to life in prison on Thursday after finding him guilty of leading an insurrection with his martial law declaration in…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Bandits kill 33 in Kebbi LG deadly attack

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 1 views
    Bandits kill 33 in Kebbi LG deadly attack

    Rivers assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 2 views
    Rivers assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    US court jails Nigerian 8 years over $1.3m cyber fraud

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 3 views
    US court jails Nigerian 8 years over $1.3m cyber fraud

    Report: How Epstein, ex-Israeli PM exploited Nigeria insurgency to push surveillance, oil deals

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 3 views
    Report: How Epstein, ex-Israeli PM exploited Nigeria insurgency to push surveillance, oil deals

    Police Arrest Ex-Prince Andrew On Suspicion Of Misconduct

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 4 views
    Police Arrest Ex-Prince Andrew On Suspicion Of Misconduct

    Ex-South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol Gets Life Sentence For Insurrection

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 3 views
    Ex-South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol Gets Life Sentence For Insurrection