FAKE NEWS: ‘I’m Still In Charge’, Eguavoen Clarifies


Super Eagles interim coach, Augustine Eguavoen says he is still in in charge of the three-time African champions.

According to OwnGoalNigeria, a sports website, Eguavoen said his assignment was limited to two matches.

The Nigerian tactician was quoted to have said he was given a mandate to oversee the Eagles’ matches against Benin Republic and Rwanda in the ongoing 2025 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

“I have been given a mandate to handle two games. I will want to say I am very pleased with the boys and again, thanks to the NFF leadership and all the boys who supported me in terms of discipline and working hard.”

“It ends today, which is the two games mandate. I can’t talk about Libya, because I haven’t been told but I can talk about it a little bit in case we have another coach, we can talk about it.” he reportedly said.

But speaking on arrival at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja in the early hours Wednesday, Cerezo as he is fondly called, denied quitting his role.

According to him, he only said he was going to discuss with the leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation )NFF) on how to prosecute the remaining qualifying series.

“It’s quite unfortunate that people trigger something that is not correct and the situation we are in now, we don’t need negative stories.

“I only talked about how I will sit down with the hierarchy of the Federation after these two games and see how we will prosecute the next games. When I saw the story, I was kind of worried and concerned. Whatever people are reading out there is not correct. I’m still very much in charge as the technical director of the federation and saddled with the responsibility of taking charge of the Super Eagles at this moment,” he clarified

Recall that Eguavoen was named the interim coach after German coach, Bruno Labbadia declined the role after being unable to reach an agreement on tax payment.

Eguavoen led the team to 3-0 win over Cheetahs of Benin before being held to a 0-0 draw by Wasps of Rwanda in the ongoing 2025 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying series.

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 13 views
    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 11 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda