FG revokes 5% telecom tax on voice, data services

 

The Federal Government has scrapped the 5% excise duty tax previously imposed on telecommunications services, including voice calls and data usage.

The National Orientation Agency made this known in a post via its official X (formerly Twitter) page on Thursday.

The post said the Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Aminu Maida, disclosed that President Bola Tinubu ordered the removal of the tax during discussions on the recently passed Finance Act.

The NCC boss noted that the move is expected to ease cost pressures for millions of mobile users in the country.

Maida added that the President’s intervention was aimed at preventing additional financial strain on citizens while supporting the digital economy.

“The development is expected to bring relief to over 171 million active telecom users across the country, many of whom have faced a 50% tariff increase implemented earlier this year,” he added.

Recall that the tax, which applies to both voice calls and data subscriptions, was introduced under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.

The 5% excise duty was first announced in 2022 had faced widespread criticism from both telecom operators and consumer rights groups, who warned it would worsen the financial burden on Nigerians amid rising living costs.

The government’s justification then was part of its effort to boost revenue generation amidst dwindling oil earnings.

The Ministry of Finance at the time argued that the levy was in line with global taxation practices.

Telecom operators, under the umbrella of the Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria, however, warned that the policy would be counterproductive.

The ALTON noted that Nigeria already had one of the highest tax burdens on the telecommunications sector in sub-Saharan Africa.

Related Posts

ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

  The Community Court of Justice, ECOWAS has ordered the Federal Republic of Nigeria to urgently decongest its correctional facilities and end the prolonged detention of awaiting-trial inmates. The Court…

Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

  US President Donald Trump said he was postponing a planned attack on Iran scheduled for Tuesday at the request of Gulf leaders amid “serious negotiations” with Tehran. Trump’s sudden…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 6 views
Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

Uzodimma Secures Imo West Senatorial APC Ticket

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 7 views
Uzodimma Secures Imo West Senatorial APC Ticket

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 14 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 6 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 6 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians