Five residents, soldier killed as bandits attack Plateau communities

 

At least five residents and a soldier were killed in an attack on Monday by suspected bandits in Zurak community, Bashar district of Plateau State.

Residents said three soldiers are currently missing following a gun battle with the attackers. The soldiers were reportedly deployed to provide security in the area amid persistent banditry and kidnapping.

It was gathered that the assailants had earlier burnt down several houses in Sabon Gari community, also in Bashar district, before proceeding to Zurak.

Shapi’i Sambo, a youth leader in Wase, confirmed the two attacks to Daily Trust on Tuesday, adding that the body of the slain soldier was moved to Jos on Tuesday morning.

 

Jibrin Isa, a resident of Zak community, also confirmed the incident, saying the bandits stormed the two communities in large numbers, making it difficult for the security personnel stationed in the area to repel them.

He said, “The incident happened around 3pm, and the assailants first attacked the military checkpoint in Sabon Gari before moving to the commercial area of the community, where they looted almost all the shops and carted away food items and other valuables.”

Explaining further, Jibrin said, “After attacking Sabon Gari, the bandits later moved to Zurak, where they also attacked the military checkpoint. During the attack in Zurak, they killed five residents and one soldier. Three soldiers are still missing.”

Jibrin described the attack as devastating, revealing that Zurak community has been deserted, as residents have fled to neighbouring villages for fear of further attacks.

When contacted, Captain J.A. John, Media Information Officer, Operation Enduring Peace, said he would investigate the incident and revert. He had not responded as of press time.

Daily Trust reports that communities in Wase Local Government Area have suffered years of banditry and kidnapping, resulting in several deaths.

On December 21, 2025, about 28 travellers from Zak community were abducted while travelling to attend Maulud in Sabon Layi community, Bashar district.

Related Posts

47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

  Officials have told the Associated Press that 47 people died when a boat capsized in a river in Sokoto State on Thursday. The boat was carrying people who were…

Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

  US President Donald Trump said Wednesday he was launching a major new campaign to target Iran’s economy, threatening “tremendous” punishment on any country that helps or does business with…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 2 views
47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 3 views
Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 5 views
Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo