Gunmen Kidnap Nasarawa Varsity Students

 

Gunmen believed to be bandits have stormed Gandu community and kidnapped some students at the Federal University of Lafia.
A resident, who lives within the university community but pleaded for anonymity, informed our correspondent that the gunmen came at first in their numbers at about 7:30pm on Wednesday and started shooting into the air to scare the residents of the area, but when they noticed that security operatives were coming after them, they ran into the bush to hide for several hours.
An eyewitness, who also didn’t want his name in print, told our correspondent that the gunmen stormed a conference hotel situated along Makurdi road opposite Nasarawa Housing Estate on Thursday at 2:am and kidnapped five students.
According to the source, the gunmen resurfaced again at Gandu, a students community opposite the permanent site of the university, and shot sporadically, forcing students out of their residence.
They reportedly abducted five students in the process while many were injured.

Our correspondent gathered that the gunmen operated freely for about three hours.

Confirming the incident, Mr. Abubakar Ibrahim, the Public Relations Officer of the university, explained that at the moment, the number of students abducted had yet to be ascertained but said it was between three and five students.
He said, “It is too early to ascertain the exact number of students because those affected are not living within the school premises but off campus.

“From available information, the number of students abducted is between three to five. However, the university is working hard to ensure all students live within the school campus.”
Meanwhile students at the university had embarked on a peaceful protest, demanding an end to persistent kidnapping of students.
Our correspondent reports that abduction of students has become a regular incident in the institution as students now live in constant fear.
Our correspondent also reports that more than 15 students at the university had been kidnapped this semester with huge ransome paid amidst harsh economy.
One of the victims, of the previous attack, who spoke to our reporter in Lafia said, “We were five, including a lady. The gunmen beat and threatened us and kept us walking and running all through the night.
“They later collected N500,000 from my parents and released me. I don’t know what happened to the rest because they could not afford to pay.”

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 13 views
    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 11 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda