Hamas agrees to free hostages as Trump urges Israel to halt bombing

 

Hamas said on Friday it was ready to discuss freeing the hostages it holds in Gaza under the framework of Donald Trump’s recent ceasefire plan, prompting the US president to call on Israel to stop bombing the Palestinian territory “immediately”.

Trump hailed the statement from Hamas as a sign it was committed to “lasting peace” but the group made no mention of its own disarmament — a key element of Trump’s proposal — and maintained it should have a say in the Palestinian territory’s future.

Hours earlier, Trump had given the group until 2200 GMT on Sunday — 1:00 am Monday in Gaza — to accept his 20-point plan or else face “all hell”.

“The movement announces its approval for the release of all hostages — living and remains — according to the exchange formula included in President Trump’s proposal,” Hamas said in a statement, adding it was ready to enter talks “to discuss the details”.

In the statement, Hamas said it agreed to hand over power in Gaza to a body of Palestinian technocrats but said decisions on the territory’s long-term future would need to be discussed within a Palestinian framework “in which Hamas will participate and contribute responsibly”.

Hamas’s statement made no mention of its intentions on disarmament, a key part of the US president’s plan and a move the group has previously resisted.

Following the announcement, senior Hamas official Mahmoud Mardawi told AFP the group welcomed Trump’s proposal, but called it “vague”, saying “we need clarification and confirmation through a negotiated agreement”.

In a post on his Truth Social platform shortly after Hamas’s announcement, Trump said he believed the group was “ready for a lasting PEACE”.

“Israel must immediately stop the bombing of Gaza, so that we can get the Hostages out safely and quickly!” he added.

Trump’s proposal, backed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, calls for a ceasefire, the release of hostages within 72 hours, Hamas’s disarmament and a gradual Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.

The plan demands the disarmament of Hamas, and insists that it and other factions “not have any role in the governance of Gaza”.

Administration of the territory would be taken up by a technocratic body overseen by a post-war transitional authority headed by Trump himself.

– ‘Places of death’ –

On the ground on Friday, Gaza’s civil defence agency — a rescue force operating under Hamas authority — reported heavy air bombardment and artillery shelling on Gaza City.

It said Israeli strikes killed at least 11 people across the territory, including eight in Gaza City.

AFP has contacted the Israeli military for comment.

Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties accessing swathes of the territory mean AFP cannot independently verify details or casualty figures provided by the Israeli military or the civil defence.

The Israeli military is waging an air and ground offensive on the territory’s largest urban centre, from which hundreds of thousands have been forced to flee.

The UN on Friday reiterated there was no safe place in Gaza and that Israel-designated zones in the south were “places of death”.

“The notion of a safe zone in the south is farcical,” UNICEF spokesman James Elder said from the Gaza Strip.

Amnesty International condemned a “catastrophic wave of mass displacement” as Israel intensified its Gaza City offensive.

The rights group said hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, many of whom had already been displaced multiple times, were being forced into “overcrowded enclaves in the south… that lack access to clean water, food, medical care, shelter and life-sustaining infrastructure”.

As the war nears the two-year mark and the death toll continues to rise, protesters around the world have railed at Israel’s interception of a flotilla carrying pro-Palestinian activists and aid for Gaza.

On Friday, the organisers of the Global Sumud Flotilla said its last remaining boat had been intercepted, and Israel’s foreign ministry said it had deported four Italian participants.

– ‘Two opinions’ in Hamas –

As Hamas mulled Trump’s peace plan this week, a Palestinian source close to the group’s leadership told AFP on Wednesday that the Islamist movement wanted to amend some clauses, including the one on disarmament.

Hamas leaders also want “international guarantees” for a full Israeli withdrawal and that no assassination attempts would be made inside or outside Gaza, the source added.

Another source familiar with the negotiations told AFP that the group was split over Trump’s plan.

Structurally, the group’s leadership is divided between officials based in the Gaza Strip and those abroad, particularly in Qatar.

Related Posts

Putin: Russia-Ukraine war coming to an end

  Russian President Vladimir Putin says he believes the war with Ukraine is “heading to an end”. According to AFP, Putin spoke on Saturday while answering questions from journalists after…

US, Iran fail to reach peace agreement after 21-hour talks in Pakistan

  The United States and Iran have failed to reach an agreement after 21 hours of high-stakes discussions in Islamabad, Pakistan’s capital. JD Vance, US vice-president, said Tehran refused to…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 13 views
DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 11 views
Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

Nigerians among West Africans to be deported from US to Sierra Leone

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 21 views
Nigerians among West Africans to be deported from US to Sierra Leone