‘How Soldiers Killed Our Son Inside His Room’, Family of Slain corps member speak

 

The family of slain National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, Abdulsamad Jamiu, has rejected the Nigerian Army’s account that he died in a crossfire during an operation in Abuja.

They insisted he was shot inside his room and called for an independent investigation into the incident.

The family said the official version issued by the Guards Brigade Quick Response Force was inconsistent with evidence at the scene and failed to reflect what transpired during the operation in Dei-Dei, Shagari Estate.

 

In a statement, the family maintained the late corps member was killed around 2am when military personnel entered the estate, describing the shooting as wrongful and avoidable.

“He was shot in his room,” the family said, disputing the military’s claim that he was caught in an exchange of gunfire after troops responded to a distress call over an alleged robbery attack.

According to the family, a bullet was fired through the door of Jamiu’s room from outside, striking him in the head.

They argued that the bullet trajectory and visible damage at the scene contradicted claims of a crossfire, insisting the evidence showed he was not killed in an armed confrontation.

“The shot was fired from outside the room, through a closed door,” the family stated.

The Guards Brigade had earlier said troops came under gunfire from fleeing robbers and that Jamiu was caught in the ensuing exchange.

But the family questioned the basis of that account, saying no armed adversary had been identified, no weapon recovered and no evidence presented to support claims of an exchange of fire.

“No such adversary has been identified, produced, or accounted for,” the family said.

They also disputed claims of a robbery incident in the area that night, stating no such attack was reported in the community.

The family further alleged that soldiers entered the premises by scaling the fence, noting remnants of damaged barbed wire remained visible at the scene, while the main gate was left untouched.

According to the account, Jamiu’s sister was inside the house at the time and rushed out after hearing the gunshot, but was allegedly told by soldiers to go outside and remain calm.

The family said neighbours who responded alerted the community vigilance group, whose members were allegedly instructed by soldiers to clean bloodstains at the scene.

They said action raises questions over evidence preservation.

In a more serious allegation, the family claimed soldiers later admitted the shooting was a mistake and acknowledged that an innocent person had been killed.

According to them, the admission was made in the presence of the Divisional Police Officer and captured in a written statement.

The family said those circumstances make the military’s public account untenable and have intensified demands for accountability.

They called for an immediate independent investigation outside military control, insisting any credible probe must have civilian oversight.

They also demanded the identification, suspension and prosecution of personnel involved in the shooting.

The family further sought a withdrawal of the military’s earlier statement, arguing it was inconsistent with available facts and prior admissions.

They demanded a formal public apology.

The killing has triggered fresh concerns over rules of engagement and accountability in internal security operations.

The family insisted justice can only be served through a transparent process.

“We demand an immediate, independent and transparent investigation,” the family said.

The Nigerian Army has yet to publicly respond to the family’s latest allegations

Related Posts

At least 38 dead as 7.7-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia

  No fewer than 38 people have been confirmed dead after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck eastern Indonesia on Saturday. Tsunami waves were recorded in several areas of the Southeast Asian…

Police arrest Accord lawmaker for ‘importing 300 persons’ to vote in Osun guber poll

  The Osun police command has arrested Abiola Ibrahim, a member of the state’s house of assembly, over the alleged import of at least 300 people to vote in Saturday’s…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

  • By admin
  • August 16, 2026
  • 3 views
INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

At least 38 dead as 7.7-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 6 views
At least 38 dead as 7.7-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia

Police arrest Accord lawmaker for ‘importing 300 persons’ to vote in Osun guber poll

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 6 views
Police arrest Accord lawmaker for ‘importing 300 persons’ to vote in Osun guber poll

Ghana Police kill two, arrest Nigerian over alleged bank robbery attempt

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 7 views
Ghana Police kill two, arrest Nigerian over alleged bank robbery attempt

Strait of Hormuz will become US territory after Iran war, says Trump

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 11 views
Strait of Hormuz will become US territory after Iran war, says Trump

Kidnappers free Anambra businessman, reverend sister

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 15 views
Kidnappers free Anambra businessman, reverend sister