I&E window records $53.02m turnover after CBN lifts forex ban

 

The Investor & Exporter forex window recorded a turnover of $53.02m on Friday, following the Central Bank of Nigeria’s forex ban lift on 43 items.

The CBN on Thursday, lifted the ban on importers of 43 items restricted from accessing foreign exchange on its official platform.

It disclosed this in a statement titled, ‘CBN restates commitment to boost liquidity in forex market’, signed by the Director, Corporate Communications, Isa AbdulMumin.

“Importers of all the 43 items previously restricted by the 2015 circular referenced TED/FEM/FPC/GEN/01/010, and its addendums are now allowed to purchase foreign exchange in the Nigerian foreign exchange market,” the statement said.

Figures obtained from the FMDQ on Friday revealed that there wasn’t improvement in turnover on the official trading platform, as it recorded $53.02m turnover from $60.30m on Tuesday.

The naira however appreciated slightly as it exchanged at 764.86/$ from 766.70/$ on Thursday.

Analysts at Cordros Securities said in a report on Friday on the forex ban lift that, “In our view, while this is another step forward, we think FX liquidity should take prominence to avoid further FX pressures at the official and parallel markets, more so that the FX queue will now be longer at the official market without liquidity.

“Perhaps this is a signalling tool by the CBN to shift attention away from the parallel market and reduce the pressure of the official market playing a catch-up game with the unofficial exchange rate.

“Hence, in terms of impact, we think FX pressures will increase in the official market in the near term, while the parallel market rate is likely to appreciate as the importers of these 43 items move to the official market.”

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 2 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    Five die in Abuja building collapse

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 11 views
    Five die in Abuja building collapse

    17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 12 views
    17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe