Iran Threatens ‘Crushing Attacks’ If Israel Responds To Missiles

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards threatened to carry out “crushing attacks” against arch-foe Israel if it retaliates for a missile attack by the Islamic republic on Tuesday.

“If the Zionist regime reacts to Iranian operations, it will face crushing attacks,” the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said in a statement carried by the Fars news agency.

The IRGC said the attack was “in accordance with the United Nations Charter”.

It said it came “after a period of restraint” following an “attack on the sovereignty” of Iran — a reference to the killing of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran in late July.

Late Tuesday, Iranian forces fired a barrage of missiles which targeted Israel’s commercial hub Tel Aviv, state media reported.

ADVERTISEMENT
The United States had earlier warned of an imminent Iranian ballistic missile attack on Israel, and said it would have “severe” consequences for Tehran.

Iranian media carried online footage of what they said were missiles being fired at Israel.

State television played upbeat music over the footage as its newscaster spoke of “the brave Iranian people”.


Tuesday’s attack was Iran’s second on Israel in the past six months, after a missile and drone attack in April in retaliation for a deadly Israeli air strike on Iran’s consulate in Damascus.

Nearly all of the missiles and drones fired in that attack were intercepted by Israel or its allies.

An Israeli strike on Beirut on Friday killed Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, whose Lebanese militant group has been armed and financed by Iran for years.

Nasrallah was killed alongside General Abbas Nilforoushan, a top commander of the Quds Force, the IRGC’s foreign operations arm.

Iran vowed that Nilforoushan’s killing would “not go unanswered”.

At last month’s UN General Assembly in New York, President Masoud Pezeshkian accused Israel of warmongering as Iran exercised restraint.

He suggested Tehran had held back retaliation for Haniyeh’s killing, fearing that it could derail US-backed efforts for a ceasefire in the Gaza war.

“We tried to not respond. They kept telling us we were within reach of peace, perhaps in a week or so,” he said.

On Sunday, Pezeshkian said promises by the United States and its allies of a “ceasefire in exchange for Iran’s non-reaction to Haniyeh’s killing were completely false”.

He added that “giving these criminals (Israel) a chance would only encourage them to commit more crimes”.

Iran does not recognise Israel, and has made support for the Palestinian cause a centrepiece of its foreign policy since the Islamic Revolution in 1979.

Tehran hailed its ally Hamas’s October 7 attack on Israel, which triggered the Gaza war, but denied any involvement.

Regional tensions have soared since the outbreak of the Gaza war, drawing in Iran-aligned groups from Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen.

AFP

  • Related Posts

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

      Drone strikes by the Malian army on Sunday killed at least 10 civilians as they prepared to celebrate a traditional mass wedding, security and local sources told AFP. The…

    Police extradite romance scam suspect to US over $1.5m fraud

      The Nigeria Police Force has extradited an alleged online romance scam suspect, Samuel Ugberease, also known as “Putsammy”, “Putput”, and “Sammy”, to the United States to face charges of…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    Five die in Abuja building collapse

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 12 views
    Five die in Abuja building collapse

    17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 14 views
    17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe