Israeli Strike Kills Senior Hezbollah Commander In Lebanon

 

An Israeli strike on southern Lebanon killed a senior Hezbollah commander on Tuesday, the Iran-backed militant group said.

It named the commander as Sami Abdallah, also known as Abu Taleb, born in 1969, in a statement reporting his death.

A Lebanese military source said the commander was “the most important in Hezbollah to be killed up to now since the start of the war” between Israel and Palestinian militant group Hamas in Gaza, which has fuelled violence on the Lebanon-Israel border.

The source said the strike hit the town of Jouaiyya, 15 kilometres (nine miles) from the Israeli border, and also killed three other people.

Hezbollah later announced the death of a second fighter, with a source close to the Shiite Muslim movement identifying him as Mohammad Hussein Sabra, also known as Baqer

Hezbollah, a Hamas ally, has traded near-daily fire with Israeli forces since the Gaza war began, triggered by Hamas’s October 7 attack.

Exchanges of fire between Hezbollah and Israeli forces have intensified over recent days, causing multiple brush fires on both sides of the border.

Without commenting directly on Tuesday’s strike, the Israeli military said it hit a series of Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon after a barrage of “50 launches” by Hezbollah into the Golan Heights on Tuesday morning.

More than eight months of cross-border violence has killed at least 467 people in Lebanon, including almost 90 civilians and at least 304 Hezbollah fighters, according to an AFP count.

Israeli authorities say at least 15 Israeli soldiers and 11 civilians have been killed in the fighting.

Tens of thousands of people have been displaced.

Last week, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel was “prepared for a very intense operation” along the border with Lebanon and that “one way or another, we will restore security to the north”.

AFP

  • Related Posts

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

      Drone strikes by the Malian army on Sunday killed at least 10 civilians as they prepared to celebrate a traditional mass wedding, security and local sources told AFP. The…

    Police extradite romance scam suspect to US over $1.5m fraud

      The Nigeria Police Force has extradited an alleged online romance scam suspect, Samuel Ugberease, also known as “Putsammy”, “Putput”, and “Sammy”, to the United States to face charges of…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 10 views
    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda