Malami okays seizure of Kyari, accomplices’ property, accounts

 

The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, has approved a request by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for the confiscation of DCP Abba Kyari and his co-accused assets.

It was gathered that the NDLEA’s request, which was dispatched to the justice ministry penultimate week, had received the AGF’s nod.

With this development, the former Commander, Inspector-General of Police Intelligence Response Team and his accomplices may lose their assets, cash and money in bank accounts; vehicles; real estate, notably hotels, residential and commercial buildings; personal effects such as wristwatches, jewellery and other valuable possessions.

The PUNCH had reported last week that about N4.2bn was traced to Kyari and his co-accused, ACP Sunday Ubua’s bank accounts.

The NDLEA had on March 7 arraigned Kyari, Ubua and four members of the IRT, Sunday Ubia, Bawa James, Simon Agirigba and John Nuhu, on eight counts of conspiracy, obstruction and dealing in cocaine, and other related offences before the Federal High Court, Abuja.

Two other suspects arrested at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport in Enugu, Chibunna Patrick Umeibe and Emeka Alphonsus Ezenwanne, were also listed as defendants in the suit marked FHC/ABJ/57/2022.

A senior justice ministry official said, “The AGF has endorsed the request by the NDLEA seeking approval for the confiscation of the assets of Abba Kyari, Ubua and the other police officers involved in drug dealing.

“With the approval, the drug agency can now go after their property such as real estate, bank accounts, cash, vehicles, stocks, bonds and anything of monetary value.”

The source further said the seizure of the embattled DCP and his co-accused assets was to ensure that they did not benefit from the proceeds of crime.

The NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi, had confirmed that the accused persons’ bank accounts would be frozen, noting that this was standard practice.

Kyari, who is wanted in the United States for alleged involvement in a $1.1m scam carried out by a notorious Internet scammer, Ramon Abass, aka Hushpuppi, was suspended by the police last July.

  • Related Posts

    NDLEA arrests wanted drug baron over N1.4b seized drugs after 17 years in hiding

    After 17 years of hiding in the dark to ship illicit drugs worth billions of naira across the world, the reign of a wanted 59-year-old drug baron Ogbonnaya Kevin Jeff…

    Nigerian drug kingpin arrested for smuggling in Korea

      The Korean National Intelligence Agency’s Transnational Crime Information Centre announced the arrest of a Nigerian drug kingpin, K. Jeff, along with 36 other cartel members for drug smuggling. The…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    FACT-CHECK: No, image does not show Elumelu meeting, reconciling with lady who called him ‘Tony’ in viral video

    • By admin
    • August 23, 2026
    • 2 views
    FACT-CHECK: No, image does not show Elumelu meeting, reconciling with lady who called him ‘Tony’ in viral video

    101-year-old great-grandma arrested for selling drugs in sachets

    • By admin
    • August 23, 2026
    • 3 views
    101-year-old great-grandma arrested for selling drugs in sachets

    Coordinator of ‘fake’ Made in Nigeria agency shares appointment letter ‘issued by SGF office’

    • By admin
    • August 23, 2026
    • 3 views
    Coordinator of ‘fake’ Made in Nigeria agency shares appointment letter ‘issued by SGF office’

    Mother, three children killed as fire razes Fulani settlement in Yobe

    • By admin
    • August 23, 2026
    • 4 views
    Mother, three children killed as fire razes Fulani settlement in Yobe

    Publish political donation limits for 2027 elections, SERAP tells INEC

    • By admin
    • August 23, 2026
    • 9 views
    Publish political donation limits for 2027 elections, SERAP tells INEC

    US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries

    • By admin
    • August 22, 2026
    • 3 views
    US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries