Meta Pulls down FIJ’s Facebook page as Ekiti Police summon founder Fisayo Soyombo

 

META has taken down the Facebook page of the Foundation for Investigative Journalism (FIJ), citing alleged violations of its community standards on cybersecurity.

The organisation noted that a pop-up notification sent by Meta on Sunday, September 7, indicated that the page was pulled down for going against cybersecurity rules.

FIJ, however, disputed the claim and submitted an appeal for restoration.

However, the company has yet to officially respond to the appeal.

The development came weeks after FIJ’s website suffered downtime on August 21 following what the newsroom described as coordinated cyberattacks traced to the headquarters of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC).

Meanwhile, in a separate development, the Ekiti State Police Command on Tuesday, September 9, invited FIJ founder and editor-in-chief, ‘Fisayo Soyombo, for questioning over allegations of conspiracy, criminal defamation, cyberbullying, and blackmail.

The summon, signed by Musa Hadi, Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of the State Intelligence Department (SID), ordered Soyombo to appear before the Commissioner of Police at the command’s headquarters in Ado-Ekiti on September 15.

The invitation came barely an hour before FIJ senior reporter, Sodeeq Atanda, was released after spending 11 hours in police custody on similar allegations.

Atanda was initially invited on September 1 following a petition by Abayomi Fasina, a professor and the on-leave Vice Chancellor of the Federal University Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE).

“This office is investigating case [sic] of conspiracy, criminal defamation, blackmailing and cyber-bullying in which your name featured,” the invite reads.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 14 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe