Nigeria condemns attempted coup in Benin Republic

 

The Federal Government has condemned Sunday’s attempted coup in the Republic of Benin, describing it as a direct assault on democracy and the collective will of the Beninese people.

In a statement by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, Nigeria expressed concern over the incident and reaffirmed its solidarity with the neighbouring country.

“Nigeria stands in firm solidarity with the Government and people of the Republic of Benin, and applauds the swift action taken by Beninese authorities to protect its legitimate institutions and preserve the peace,” the statement read.

The ministry commended the Beninese security forces for repelling the attempt.

“We commend the courage and professionalism of the Beninese security forces in defending the constitutional order and guaranteeing the safety of the President,” it added.

Nigeria warned that unconstitutional changes of government pose a threat to regional stability and undermine democratic gains.

As a member of ECOWAS and the African Union, Nigeria urged other member states and international partners to condemn the development.

“We call on all member states and the international community to unite in condemning this act and reaffirming our shared commitment to the AU Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance, and the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance,” it said.

 

The Federal Government of Nigeria also appealed for calm in Benin and called for political grievances to be resolved through lawful means.

“We urge all parties in the Republic of Benin to remain calm, uphold the rule of law, and continue to channel any political discourse through peaceful, constitutional and democratic means,” it stated.

The statement further assured Benin of Nigeria’s continued cooperation in promoting peace and stability in West Africa.

The attempted takeover was announced earlier on state television by a group identifying itself as the “Military Committee for Refoundation”, which declared President Patrice Talon removed from office. However, Talon’s office insisted he remained secure and that loyal forces were restoring order.

The French embassy reported gunfire near Camp Guezo, close to the president’s residence, urging its nationals to stay indoors.

The incident comes amid a wave of recent coups in the region, including in Niger, Burkina Faso, Madagascar and Guinea-Bissau.

Talon, 67, has governed since 2016 and is due to leave office in April at the end of his second and final term.

ECOWAS has also condemned the attempted coup, pledging readiness to take necessary measures.

Related Posts

Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

  Federal Capital Territory Minister, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses built on designated water channels in Abuja, warning that structures obstructing waterways will be removed. Wike gave…

NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury

  The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says its operatives have seized 184.5 kilogrammes of cocaine from a courier company. The agency described the operation as its largest seizure…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

Cement cheaper in Kenya, Togo than Nigeria — FCCPC probe

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Cement cheaper in Kenya, Togo than Nigeria — FCCPC probe

Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

US lifts 12-year restriction on vessels calling at Nigerian ports

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 5 views
US lifts 12-year restriction on vessels calling at Nigerian ports

NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 7 views
NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury