Nigerian extradited to US over ‘$6m fraud’ — 3 years after he was declared wanted

 

Alex Ogunshakin, a Nigerian, has been extradited to the United States of America over alleged $6 million fraud.

In June 2020, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) declared Ogunshakin and five other Nigerians wanted for “their involvement in business email compromise (BEC) schemes resulting in over $6 million in losses”.

The FBI had posted pictures of the six Nigerians on its X (formerly known as Twitter) account, describing them as “cyber most wanted”.

Other Nigerians declared wanted alongside Ogunshakin are Uzuh Richard, Felix Okpoh, Micheal Olorunyomi, Benson Nnamdi and Abiola Kayode.

THE INDICTMENT

According to the FBI, Ogunshakin allegedly provided the bank accounts used to receive fraudulent wire transfers.

The suspect was said to have sent spoofed emails to businesses used to solicit the transfers.

In 2019, he was indicted in the US district court in Nebraska on charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

Subsequently, a federal warrant was issued for his arrest.

The alleged fraud was said to have been committed from January 2015 to September 2016.

THE EXTRADITION

In May 2020, the US government asked the Nigerian government to extradite Ogunshakin over the alleged fraud.

Subsequently, the suspect was arrested and he was recently extradited to the US.

In a statement, the US department of justice said the suspect appeared before Michael Nelson, a US magistrate judge, on September 29, 2023.

The judge ordered the remand of Ogunshakin in prison pending the completion of the trial.

The US DOJ said some of Ogunshakin’s co-conspirators had been convicted and sentenced.

“Adewale Aniyeloye, one of the fraudsters sending the spoofed e-mails to the target business, was sentenced in February 2019 to 96 months’ imprisonment and ordered to pay $1,570,938.05 in restitution,” the statement reads.

“Pelumi Fawehinimi, a bank account facilitator, was sentenced in March 2019 to 72 months’ imprisonment and ordered to pay $1,014,159.60 in restitution.

“Onome Ijomone, a romance scammer, was sentenced in January 2020 to 60 months’ imprisonment and ordered to pay $508,934.40 in restitution after his successful extradition from Poland. Other co-conspirators remain at large.”

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 2 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    Five die in Abuja building collapse

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 11 views
    Five die in Abuja building collapse

    17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 12 views
    17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe