Nigerian president replaces top military officials after alleged coup attempt

 

Nigeria’s leader, Bola Tinubu has made changes in the hierarchy of the Service Chiefs, replacing General Christopher Musa with General Olufemi Oluyede as the Chief of Defence Staff.

The President also appointed Major-General W. Shaibu as the new Chief of Army Staff, Air Vice Marshall S.K. Aneke as the Chief of Air Staff and Rear Admiral I. Abbas is the new Chief of Naval Staff.

Chief of Defence Intelligence Major-General E.A.P Undiendeye retains his position.

Last year, Oluyede was appointed as acting Chief of Army Staff to replace the late Lt. General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja.

The change was announced in a statement signed by the Special Adviser to the President, Media & Public Communication, Sunday Dare, on Friday.

He said that the development is in furtherance of the efforts of the Federal Government of Nigeria to strengthen the national security architecture.

“The President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, expresses most profound appreciation to the outgoing Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa and the other Service Chiefs for their patriotic service and dedicated leadership.

“The President charges the newly appointed Service Chiefs to justify the confidence reposed in them to further enhance the professionalism, vigilance and comradeship that define the Armed Forces of Nigeria,” the statement said in part.

It added that all appointments take immediate effect.

General Oluyede, who is now the Chief of Defence Staff, only assumed office as the new Chief of Army Staff (COAS) in December 2024 after the death of General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 14 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe